Why become a member? ×

Music Man Bongo 4HS

Duarte

I bought this bass a few weeks ago now, and have used it in band practices, live, home practice and recording. I now know what it is capable of.

It is a 4 string HS model (humbucker/single coil) with 4 band EQ (bass/low mid/hi mid/treble) and pan pot. This thing really is as versatile as you could want, the EQ is extremely powerful - runs on 18 volts. This particular bass is finished with a colour called 'egyptian smoke,' which is just grey really. A sort of metallic grey, it looks awesome. It also features the classic musicman bridge which is rock solid and the same tuners as the stingray and sterling. The bongo comes with a basswood body, which some see as inferior - but it really doesn't make a difference on this bass. It has 24 frets which confused me at first, but I got used to it. That and all the knobs make it quite a frightening bass to when you first get hold of it. It has Neodymium pickup magnets, and it is the only bass on the market that does (aprt from music man's latest offerings) and they are HOT and have a huge range.

The sound you get from this bass really is something special, when I first plugged it in a made sure everything was flat and both pickups were on full and it sounded so clean and full. Definitely a hi-fi thing going on here, but with musicman character. Using the front single coil and a bit of EQ, this thing can cop a good P bass tone (I actually preferred it to my real P bass) focussing on the bridge humbucker can give you a stinray-ish sort of tone. I'd say both pickups up full is very jazzy, but massive frequency range and a lot beefier. And of course, you can have any ratio of the two pickups which offers a very wide variety of tones. The sound is very stingray related as you would expect, but the pickups is located slightly closer to the bridge than a ray so it has it's own voice. With the single H bongo, the humbucker is located ever so slightly in front of the stingray, which gives it an AGGRESSIVE sound. The HS however is very smooth and jazzy. I must say that the EQ is verrrrrry sensitive and must be used sparingly - otherwise people could die.

So I would give the sound a 10/10. It is the best sounding bass I have ever played.

Playability wise this thing doesn't dissappoint. The neck is thinner than a stingray but thicker than a sterling neck and has a satin finish (over the paint - you don't ever touch paint I must add) which feels great. Although I do prefer a bare wood feel and slghtly thicker necks - but I have massive hands. The action is set up very low with no buzzing - it pretty much plays itself! It is almost too easy. The balace is very good, but when sitting the lower horn can dig into your leg causing it to dive a bit. When standing however, it is almost perfect.

As for the looks...I absolutely love them. I don't understand how people can't love the look. Pictures are actually quite deceptive, they make it look very fat and bulbous when in fact it is extremely thin and light.

The quality is typical Music Man, top notch fit and finish. The attebtion to detail is fantastic, although I would prefer a sturdier battery compartment (it's plastic) and there is that issue with the headstock dings...
The rosewood fingerboard is probably the best looking wood I've seen. They must use an very high grade of wood here, as it is just beautiful. Best rosewood fingerboard I've seen.

SO...overall I would give this a 9/10. Nothing is perfect, but the bongo is damn close. There are a few quirks and of course it's not for everyone, but in fairness it is the best sounding bass I've ever played, very easy to play and it looks great (yes it does).

I want a H and an HH now, too.

Zak

• 2 weeks later...

great review on a great bass - I've overcome any niggles with the ergonomics and design of the bass now that I'm on my second one. They sound and play stellar and I can live with the little things as they dont affect tone and playability.

post some pics of yours,egyptian smoke is a great finish. I take it you've got the python PG on her :)

Yes they are great. Just something about them.

No I don't have a python guard, but I really want one. It just looks epic on egyptian smoke. The one I've got is some kind of Pearloid thing, a sort of black and grey one. I'm also thinking black or white ice...

Edited by Duarte