Why become a member? ×

Hofner Violin Bass CT Model v Icon Model

Nostromo

Hi all,
My question is, is there any physical difference between the Hofner Contemporary (CT) Violin Bass and the Icon Series Violin Bass ? . . as I understand it, both are made in China, both get good reviews. The CT seems to be mainly for sale in the UK whilst the Icon seems to be mainly sold in the US. Are there any other physical differences or is it just different labellings for different markets ?

Any info appreciated.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif"]http://basschat.co.uk/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/url]

Hi there,
I was looking into the CT model a while ago. Seems that the Icon model has only been released in the UK in very limited numbers ? . . unless that's just sales hype ? Also note the Icon model has a set neck ? which begs the question whether the UK distributed CT model is bolt on or also set neck ? I bet someone here will have one or will have played one and will be able to say ?
Good luck with your quest for Hofner info. :)

Both share the same set neck construction, the difference is in the hardware: the Contemporary has the same pickups and hardware as a German-made 500/1 whereas the Icon has Chinese-made hardware and electronics. Interestingly, the Contemporary also has a solid maple sustainblock, whereas the Icon is a full hollowbody.

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='505249' date='Jun 4 2009, 08:35 AM']Both share the same set neck construction, the difference is in the hardware: the Contemporary has the same pickups and hardware as a German-made 500/1 whereas the Icon has Chinese-made hardware and electronics. Interestingly, the Contemporary also has a solid maple sustainblock, whereas the Icon is a full hollowbody.[/quote]
Thanks . . . I think its the contemporary that I should be contemplating ! . . . sounds like the better option ?
:)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Nostromo' post='505955' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:24 PM']Thanks . . . I think its the contemporary that I should be contemplating ! . . . sounds like the better option ?
:)[/quote]

If you are interested in the Icon, I've got one that I bought back from the US on a business trip 2 months ago. It was one of those "blimey, that looks nice" moments in Guitar Center, which I regretted as soon as the credit card bill arrived! I paid extra for the fitted case too.

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers

Mark.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='tredders' post='515937' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:42 PM']If you are interested in the Icon, I've got one that I bought back from the US on a business trip 2 months ago. It was one of those "blimey, that looks nice" moments in Guitar Center, which I regretted as soon as the credit card bill arrived! I paid extra for the fitted case too.

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers

Mark.[/quote]
Hi! Just wondered if you still have the Icon? If so I might be interested if you're thinking of selling it!

Cheers

Dave

[quote name='dave77' post='683648' date='Dec 14 2009, 05:16 AM']Hi! Just wondered if you still have the Icon? If so I might be interested if you're thinking of selling it!

Cheers

Dave[/quote]

Hiya Dave

I sold it on here a while ago, I'm afraid.

Mark.