Why become a member? ×

Flamenco Spanish guitar * SOLD ON EBAY *

Bought this many years ago (was made in 1997) after getting inspiration from a holiday in Seville. Absolute top quality flamenco guitar (spruce/cypress + ebony) which retails now for £895 cheapest in UK (another retailer sells for >£1,000). Thought I would be the next Paco Pena but turned out otherwise. Has sat in case untouched for about five years and is in near-mint (9.5/10) condition, other than needing a new set of strings. Here is a pic of its likeness [url="http://www.classicalguitar.co.uk/onlinestore/classical_guitars_instrument_selection63.html"]http://www.classicalguitar.co.uk/onlinesto...election63.html[/url] and can send photos of the instrument itself to anyone interested. Comes with hard case.

Spec:
Top Solid Spruce
Back and Sides Solid Cypress
Fingerboard Ebony
Width at nut 51.5 mm
Scale length 65 cm
Has fitted clear golpeadores (tapping plates). The neck has an ebony reinforcement strip.

PM me if interested. Not interested in trades, thanks

EDIT: as likelihood a BC'er actually wanting one of these is rather low (it is a bit special interest), I have also advertised it on eBay (for a much higher B-I-N price :) ) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=130309859184"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=130309859184[/url]

Edited by Clarky

If this had the traditional “violin peg” tuners I’d snap this up- I have an old Contreras which is built very similarly to yours and I love it.
Paco Pena and Juan Martin are fantastic - I’ve seen them both, but the flamenco player I rate the highest is a Brit called Philip John Lee who mostly recorded 30-40 years ago. Incredible player, baffles me why he’s not more famous.
Thinking about this one, looks a real peach…….

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' post='502847' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:37 AM']If this had the traditional “violin peg” tuners I’d snap this up- I have an old Contreras which is built very similarly to yours and I love it.
Paco Pena and Juan Martin are fantastic - I’ve seen them both, but the flamenco player I rate the highest is a Brit called Philip John Lee who mostly recorded 30-40 years ago. Incredible player, baffles me why he’s not more famous.
Thinking about this one, looks a real peach…….[/quote]
'Tis indeed a lovely guitar. Happy to end eBay auction early for a BC'er - as long as had no bids on eBay (otherwise would feel a bit mean) :)

PS, the soundtrack to Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona is also superb, if you like flamenco and a bit of gypsy jazz

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Tom Android' post='503605' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:09 AM']ARRRGGgggg this is calling to me

Must resist[/quote]
Look into my eyes, not around the eyes ...

[attachment=26396:_BTd_ICw...v_hg___2.jpg]

Forgive my ignorance - but is there any perceivable difference between a Flamenco guitar and what would normally be called a Classical guitar.

Are they the same thing, or slightly different flavours of the same thing or what?

I've always been confused about this.

[quote name='Tom Android' post='503620' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:24 AM']Forgive my ignorance - but is there any perceivable difference between a Flamenco guitar and what would normally be called a Classical guitar.

Are they the same thing, or slightly different flavours of the same thing or what?

I've always been confused about this.[/quote]
From Wikipedia (where else?)

Difference from classical guitar
The differences between classical and flamenco guitars lie in their materials, construction and sound.

Classical guitars are generally made with spruce or cedar tops and rosewood or mahogany backs and sides to enhance sustain. Flamenco guitars are generally made with spruce tops and cypress or sycamore for the backs and sides to enhance volume and emphasize the attack of the note.

The body of a classical guitar is generally deeper and the woods are slightly thicker. Flamenco guitars have a flat or negative (before string tension) neck relief, making the action very fast at the cost of some buzzing. The strings are also closer to the body on flamenco guitars to facilitate tapping. Flamenco guitars often bear a golpeador, which is a sheet of plastic mounted to the face of the guitar to protect its finish.

The classical guitar is designed to give the soloist the tools to perform poly-timbral music: "An orchestra in a box". The attack is soft with a longer and gradual decay. The flamenco guitar is designed to cut through the sound of dancers stomping their feet. The sound is a bit more percussive, a loud sonic burst followed by a swift decay.

Gotta dash now so won't be checking BC for an hour or so

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Tom Android' post='503626' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:30 AM']Thanks for the info..

Turns out that I want a classical then ^_^

Cheers![/quote]
Damn, I should have said that flamenco and Spanish guitars are the same

Kidding :)