Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Terry Callier anyone?

molan

I've been a big Terry Callier fan for years and have seen him many times, both here in the UK (where he usually sells out) and back at his native city of Chicago where he can't fill a small bar!

Saw him at the Union Chapel tonight with his usual band including the wonderful Jim Mullen on guitar, Gary Plumley on sax & flute, Bosco D'Oliveira on percussion and the, very understated, Dave Barnard on bass.

After a lesson with Jakesbass this week one of the things he told me to work on was economy of effort and Dave B really has this down to a fine art. Everything he played just worked perfectly all evening & he had a wonderful tone from his early Warwick Streamer. Almost double bass-like sound (maybe flatwounds) that really held the whole band together.

Here's some Terry from a few years back that features a great tenor solo from Gary Plumley & some nice bass from Dave Barnard - still on that Warwick, the only bass I've ever seen him with!

Although this is only the sound, without vision, it's one of my favourite Terry songs played live at the Jazz Cafe (with me in the audience!) that really shows off what a great live band they are. Perfect tasteful bass throughout & a cracking little Jim Mullen solo at about 4:45:

And here's some of that crazy Jim Mullen technique on camera :)

Edited by molan

I've been a massive fan of Terry's for years - I've seen him live a few times - he's a very special performer and all round guy - for anyone curious about where to start with his music his amazing album 'Time Peace' is one of THE best soulful jazz-folk albums of the last twenty years - some great bass on there too, all very understated and Terry's songwriting/lyrics/voice are just magical - catch him if you can - he's a real one off.

Mike

PS I'm jelous of you at the Union Chapel gig - I went to another gig at Cargo that night - but hey I've seen him loads before... still great though - first time I saw him Terry played three hour gig at the Escape in Brighton - dodgy venue but an amazing gig!

I'd agree that Time Peace is a great starting out point for Terry C. Probably my favourite of his albums. I'm pretty sure DAve Barnard plays bass on this one as well.

He's worked with a few interesting people over recent years like Massive Attack & Zero 7 and some of his newer stuff reflects their themes & sounds. I've only heard a few tracks from the new album, Hidden Conversations, but they sounded like they had quite a Massive Attack influence on them.

He sang on a recent Massive Attack song as well:

Personally I'm not about the way his voice has been treated a little on this, I think there's a nother version where he sounds better but, as ever with MA, there are a few mixes kicking around I think!