Why become a member? ×

Peavey Tour 700?

Kongo

Well, going back sort of to my previous post here.
I now have a rig consisting of
!. Peavey tour 700 Head.
2. My (very old) trusty Peavey 410tx cab.
3. New addition! Ashdown ABM410T cab.
I was gonna ditch the old peavey cab, BUT! after now gigging them on a largish club stage, WOW!
The sound was fan-bloody-tastic!
So i'm gonna keep this rig exactly how it is, it's gr8!
The sad thing is i suppose is that the Peavey tour 700 (to my ears anyway., and my band m8`s)
doesn't quite dish out the guts etc, with any one cab? BUT, together like i say, WOW!
So IMHO The peavey tour 700 is best served with a 4ohm load? Or at least 2 x 8ohm cabs like these babies anyways!
I would deffo recommend this head now after trying the rig out properly!
(I also use an old Zoom 708 fx an i've had to turn down the gain to less than half!, Plus, i've just added a AKG WMS40-Pro Flexx wireless system - that rocks too, no loss of bottom end etc..)

regards

Db

[quote name='justgone' post='516232' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:48 AM']Well, going back sort of to my previous post here.
I now have a rig consisting of
!. Peavey tour 700 Head.
2. My (very old) trusty Peavey 410tx cab.
3. New addition! Ashdown ABM410T cab.
I was gonna ditch the old peavey cab, BUT! after now gigging them on a largish club stage, WOW!
The sound was fan-bloody-tastic!
So i'm gonna keep this rig exactly how it is, it's gr8!
The sad thing is i suppose is that the Peavey tour 700 (to my ears anyway., and my band m8`s)
doesn't quite dish out the guts etc, with any one cab? BUT, together like i say, WOW!
So IMHO The peavey tour 700 is best served with a 4ohm load? Or at least 2 x 8ohm cabs like these babies anyways!
I would deffo recommend this head now after trying the rig out properly!
(I also use an old Zoom 708 fx an i've had to turn down the gain to less than half!, Plus, i've just added a AKG WMS40-Pro Flexx wireless system - that rocks too, no loss of bottom end etc..)

regards

Db[/quote]

It'll be 8 ohm load for me as I have to accept the fact I cannot take 2 cabs with me.
But pumping out 500 watts @ 8 ohms compared to the SD800's 450 watts @ 8 ohms means it should be loud enough.
Peavey heads, and this one even more so, are always said to be a bit TOO loud so if this ain't loud enough I dunno what is. :)

Honestly i was a bit disappointed when using this Tour 700 with just 1 cab!
I deffo thought the 500w at 8ohms a little of a exaggeration?
It could have been me tho?
So if you can, either try the rig you want out first, or maybe try and acquire 1 x 4ohm cab?
But like i said in my previous post, the FULL rig i now have is the dogs danglers! No question at all!

regards
Db (your humble but LOUD bass player - )

[quote name='justgone' post='516726' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:38 PM']Honestly i was a bit disappointed when using this Tour 700 with just 1 cab!
I deffo thought the 500w at 8ohms a little of a exaggeration?
It could have been me tho?
So if you can, either try the rig you want out first, or maybe try and acquire 1 x 4ohm cab?
But like i said in my previous post, the FULL rig i now have is the dogs danglers! No question at all!

regards
Db (your humble but LOUD bass player - )[/quote]

Remember, wattage doesn't 100% equal volume, more headroom than anything.
I've used a VERY loud 300 watt amp before.
Cabs can let you down. When I changed my laney 4x10 to my Trace Elliot 4x10 even the stock Laney head sounds better and as the band members say, they can hear me better now.
The head is no good for me for my uses now though and I need a better one...I have little choice at the moment with a gig soon and I've heard players use these live before.

So what you've got there is 2 cabs with more speakers = more volume anyways, plus one of them is no doubt better than the other and thus, the head is replicated properly.

What I find it, there are LOADS of good heads out there...but even the "Paired up" cabs can't handle them.
Trace Elliot are my #1 choice for cabs as this one took a Markbass SD800 all the way when paired up with another 4x10 cab but said cab was a Markbass of same power handling and yet it could not take the 800 watts that the now 4 ohm load was allowing.
The Trace wanted more! Our bodies didn't though...I've NEVER felt so much volume and bass at once! :lol:

Due to that ULTRA loud and VERY well built, pro sounding and VERY expensive may I add head driving my cab a few times I can attest I trust my cab.
So this will allow any head around it's power level to do it's thing unhindered.

So as you can understand, if your sound is better because you have more cabs...That IS 700 watts we talking about now, the one on it's own let you down.
Maybe the head did who knows but usually I'm let down by cabs...Not no more though. :)

Forgot to say it's on order actually, £330. When it gets here I'll let ya know.
And hell, if it really is dire, which compared to what I've used if it is dire then that means it's no good at all, it didn't cost the earth.
It'll sound much better than my Laney 300 watt I tell ya. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I may at some stage look back into Barefaced cabs...The Big One is a 6 ohm cab so that's a happy medium for power...and that cab will NOT let you down!

Oh and I may be adding a 2x10 soon...must check if it can take the power though.

Edited by Kongo

I've played with a Firebass (very similar to the Tour 700) and they're brilliant amps. Built like tanks, they have loadsa features and go ridiculously loud. I will agree that it did sound a bit weak with just one 8 ohm cab, unsure as to why... but it will go CRAZY loud with 2. And to be honest, if you have a nice enough bass, the very "pure" sound you get from the head will be good enough anyways. You can see what sorta stuff I play through in my sig, and it sounds wicked!

Oh, and I got it for £250 off the bay.

Big thumbs up to them! Shame they arent rack mountable... been toying with a compressor / tuner / HUGE EQ combo. Ah well!

[quote name='gamester4520503' post='516942' date='Jun 17 2009, 09:54 PM']I've played with a Firebass (very similar to the Tour 700) and they're brilliant amps. Built like tanks, they have loadsa features and go ridiculously loud. I will agree that it did sound a bit weak with just one 8 ohm cab, unsure as to why... but it will go CRAZY loud with 2. And to be honest, if you have a nice enough bass, the very "pure" sound you get from the head will be good enough anyways. You can see what sorta stuff I play through in my sig, and it sounds wicked!

Oh, and I got it for £250 off the bay.

Big thumbs up to them! Shame they arent rack mountable... been toying with a compressor / tuner / HUGE EQ combo. Ah well![/quote]

That's one of the Tour pluses, Rack mountable so i can put it in a 3u case and dosh the compressor up top!

Yep 1+ for the rack mountability of my Tour 700!
But watch ya dont trap yer fingers like this silly old twit did! OUCH!!
(there are no grab handles to ease the "lowering" in phase of installing in a rack!) Doh!! ..lol.
I grab your inferences to 1 cab versus 2 cabs/amps etc etc.. (But i DID like the ashdown abm head!! Tho a bit to pricey for me).
Trouble is it's so damn difficult, time wise, and your local music store is bound NOT to have the gear in you'd really like to give a good thrashing?
I came close not too long ago to acquiring a S/H Firebass 700, but if i remember correctly it only gives it's true 700w into 2Ohm, and around 450w into 4Ohm (2 x 8ohm cabs?). Didn't suit my needs at the time as i'd just disposed of my trusty old Peavey mk6 400w head (same 2Ohm thing going on which i had out with the Peavey tech heads!).
I've pretty much used Peavey gear all my adult playing life, (around 30+ years now!!)and have been very very happy! Apart from my misgivings as previously posted with my new tour 700.
I'm sure you'll be happy with it, as you possibly have better hearing than me.
I'm a bit mutton after all those years of standing next to LOUD drummers (not my gear ofcourse..lol)

ta ta

Db

Ah shoot! the bass centre mail me today saying "We are sold out of the Peavey Tour 700 and cannot get any til mid July"...
Ok, so even though they said they were in stock...Makes me question...
So I guess I'll go elsewhere...Geez this always happens and I need a new head ASAP...

[quote name='Kongo' date='Jun 18 2009, 04:57 PM' post='517573']
Ah shoot! the bass centre mail me today saying "We are sold out of the Peavey Tour 700 and cannot get any til mid July"...
Ok, so even though they said they were in stock...Makes me question...
So I guess I'll go elsewhere...Geez this always happens and I need a new head ASAP...
[/quote
pmt at norwich had one last time i was in,they would be glad to sell you it!2 hrs drive down and its yours,(ring first :) )

[quote name='bassmansky' post='517616' date='Jun 18 2009, 05:29 PM']pmt at norwich had one last time i was in,they would be glad to sell you it!2 hrs drive down and its yours,(ring first :rolleyes: )[/quote]

Ah can't travel that far out. :)
No bother, I'll keep looking...Maybe fate says no...who knows..:.)

[quote name='Kongo' post='517628' date='Jun 18 2009, 05:37 PM']Ah can't travel that far out. :)
No bother, I'll keep looking...Maybe fate says no...who knows..:.)[/quote]
if thats what you want get it,you will only regret it if you dont!have you looked on nevada music?