Why become a member? ×

Songs of Jake Thackray - The Fake Thackrays(!)

hubrad

Ash Keys Music at the South Bank Club, near ASDA or so they say.. do your shopping then take in some music - how good is that?
I'll be there trying to get as close as poss to the lines of Alan Williams, who toured extensively with Jake. As he was something like principal bass in the BBC Wales Jazz Orchestra, I'll probably end up making it up as I go along! :)

28/05/2009 20:00atTHE FAKE THACKRAYS at the South Bank Club
Dean Lane, Southville, Bristol, Southwest BS3 1DB
Cost: £11.00
if you don’t know the wit the surreality the tenderness the poeticness all with a large dose of Yorkshire no nonsense the you don’t know you’re born lad. Catch the magic of the late Jake Thackray played lovingly and brilliantly by The Fake Thackrays tickets from www.ashkeysmuic.co.uk

From www.jakethackray.com -
The Fake Thackrays (comprising of John Watterson, Tony Cima and John Blake) will be performing in Bristol on Thursday 28th May at the South Bank Club, Southville, Bristol. Doors 8pm, support 8.15pm.

Well scripted interpretations of the great Jake Thackray played by the 'The Fake Thackrays' a brand of neophites who interpret his ways down to the side parting (left to right) rather than (right to left) it was revolutionary for the time.

Tickets are priced at £11.00 and can be bought online at www.ashkeysmusic.co.uk

Any problems or questions e-mail [email protected] or call 07855 826 228

Edited by hubrad

I wish I could have been there. My Mum is a huge fan of the late, lamented, Jake, dating back to his days on TV ( Was it Bradon's Week or similar - something in black and white after my bedtime). I recently borrowed her "Jake in a Box" collection and listened to the whole thing. Bought back lots of memories. Most of the more serious songs don't really work for me ( Lah-di-dah is an exception ), and some of them are badly overproduced with inappropriate orchestral backing. Hopefully you won't be guilty of that as a trio !

He was a great guitarist as well as a clever songwriter. My favourites are "Isobel makes love on national monuments", The Cactus and The Statues.

Do let us know when you are next performing.

[quote name='chrisba' post='500630' date='May 29 2009, 10:00 AM']I wish I could have been there. My Mum is a huge fan of the late, lamented, Jake, dating back to his days on TV ( Was it Bradon's Week or similar - something in black and white after my bedtime). I recently borrowed her "Jake in a Box" collection and listened to the whole thing. Bought back lots of memories. Most of the more serious songs don't really work for me ( Lah-di-dah is an exception ), and some of them are badly overproduced with inappropriate orchestral backing. Hopefully you won't be guilty of that as a trio !

He was a great guitarist as well as a clever songwriter. My favourites are "Isobel makes love on national monuments", The Cactus and The Statues.

Do let us know when you are next performing.[/quote]
Whereabouts are you? Such events, all around the country, are usually publicised on www.jakethackray.com

For me, he was a hero of the language! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='500926' date='May 29 2009, 02:01 PM']Brilliant wasn't he! He was on That's Life too, I think I remember.[/quote]
That's where I first saw him, at some young age. For years I just remembered the vibe, then I got a tape and a songbook...

Thackray was and still is brilliant :) I've liked him since the first time I saw him on Braden's Week or That's Life. I remember when I was the best man at a friends wedding and he asked me to perform Lah Di Dah and Family Tree (with a few changed names to fit the guests) - caused a titter! :rolleyes: