Why become a member? ×

Driver Question

BassMunkee

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Line 6 POD XTL, which I use with Sonar 6.0.
I like to have the POD USB'd into my laptop so I can make changes on the fly, as you do.

This poses a bit of an issue because the POD shows up as a MIDI controller which disrupts my M-Sudio MIDI controller - but that's by-the-by.

My question is this - since starting to use the POD I've noticed that Cakewalk seems to be dropping out more and Audio control is generally worse. I noticed that I had Sonar set up using ASIO and also that the POD shows up as ASIO.
Should I therefore consider changing Sonar to WDM in order to avoid a clash, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Ta!

ASIO is merely the type of driver that is used in your soundcard.

If you are experiencing dropouts the best way to avoid these is to increase the size of your I/O buffer.
IN ASIO mode this must be done in the ASIO control panel for your soundcard not from within Sonar.
Obviously latency may suffer as the buffer gets bigger.
AT 44100kHz and 16bit a buffer I generally use a buffer size of 1024 without too much latency resulting.

If Twiggy's tips don't help, and nothing else seems to work. Then try ASIO4ALL. It always sounds daft to use an asio wrapper on a card which already has asio support - however, some interfaces come with absolutely rubbish asio drivers.

What's the problem with your midi controllers? How does one disrupt the other? Since it is certainly possible to use more than one USB midi controller, you shouldn't be having an issue.

[quote name='Eight' post='498996' date='May 27 2009, 04:41 PM']If Twiggy's tips don't help, and nothing else seems to work. Then try ASIO4ALL. It always sounds daft to use an asio wrapper on a card which already has asio support - however, some interfaces come with absolutely rubbish asio drivers.

What's the problem with your midi controllers? How does one disrupt the other? Since it is certainly possible to use more than one USB midi controller, you shouldn't be having an issue.[/quote]
Well you would have thought so...
The POD connects via USB and my Sonar interface is firewire w/a MIDI'd control surface.
If you fire Sonar up with the POD plugged in and switched on, the outputs override the other interface and the control surface - although it can be used as a keyboard - no longer functions as a controller.
I think it just clashes...

Have you tried moving the control surface midi device up in the list in Options -> Midi Devices?

Sounds like Sonar just isn't expecting to hear control information from the device if the POD is loaded first. If the keyboard functions still work then obviously having the two midi devices on together isn't the issue.

I honestly can't remember how to configure multiple control surfaces properly so probably won't be much to use to you. I used to hang around the Cakewalk Sonar forum though and I'd be surprised if the wise folks there couldn't help you get these things configured.

Edited by Eight