Why become a member? ×

Ohmage question

recently, I've been thinking about running 2 amps into one cab.

Currently I'm using a Mesa Boogie 400+ which can be used at 2, 4 or 8 ohms.

I'm also using an Ampeg 8x10 at 4 ohms.

Now the 8x10 can be split into 2 seperate 4x10s, making them 8ohms each, however, I was wondering if it would be possible to run the mesa AND a peavey 6505 guitar amp into the full 8x10, without splitting them in to two 4x10s.

[quote name='scottblessed' post='498637' date='May 27 2009, 12:08 PM']recently, I've been thinking about running 2 amps into one cab.

Now the 8x10 can be split into 2 seperate 4x10s, making them 8ohms each, however, I was wondering if it would be possible to run the mesa AND a peavey 6505 guitar amp into the full 8x10, without splitting them in to two 4x10s.[/quote]
Running two amps into the same speakers has the potential to be very bad apparently, according to the back of my cab. Better off splitting it into two anyway, would be better all round. No reason to try and make the speakers do two things at once. I run a bass head and a guitar head into my 8x10 as two 4x10s, as my oldschool heads don't do 4 ohm.

[quote name='scottblessed' post='498637' date='May 27 2009, 12:08 PM']recently, I've been thinking about running 2 amps into one cab.

Now the 8x10 can be split into 2 seperate 4x10s, making them 8ohms each, however, I was wondering if it would be possible to run the mesa AND a peavey 6505 guitar amp into the full 8x10, without splitting them in to two 4x10s.[/quote]

Nup. Not unless you want dead amps.