Why become a member? ×

In praise of Thomann

Hi All,

a brief story of good service from Thomann. After much hemming and hawing, I finally pulled the trigger and bought an Origin Effects Cali76 Comp. Bass Compressor back in early April. Then, in mid May (37 days later and clearly outside the 30 day return period) I saw that the Origin Effects Cali76 V2 Bass Compressor had been released, with some significant improvements but the same price.

I wrote to Thomann and said “I know you guys aren’t obliged to, but given the unfortunate timing, would you consider exchanging the units for me?”

An hour later, I had the returns document and they gave me a credit note allowing me to purchase the new unit. Result!

I am well pleased with their customer service.

• Like 8

I've recently had a bit of good customer service from them, too. I bought a b-stock RockBass Vampyre 5 for a bit of throwback fun (I used to have one about 15 years ago) and whilst it needed some tidying up in terms of sharp frets, rough bits and terrible setup, the electronics were never in question. Then the preamp kinda half gave up; everything still 'worked' but there was very little output level. They asked for a video of the problem, and I obliged as best I could, but made it clear that I'd rather not risk shipping the bass back to be fixed - I really just wondered whether they could squeeze Warwick to send me a new preamp as a field replacement spare part. They agreed to try.. and to our join surprise it actually worked and I got a new preamp in a couple of weeks.

In the event I've not fitted it yet, as I was so convinced that they'd tell me to either ship it back to be fixed or just to jog on, that I actually got some 25K pots and wired a passive V-V-T with a coil select switch for the Twin-Jazz pickup. It proved that the pickups weren't the problem, and ended up sounding pretty good.

But I digress - I was heartened to find  that Thomann were willing to entertain a slightly left-field support request and make it happen.

• Like 2