Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Creating Backing Tracks With Moises

greghagger

There's a program which has changed the way that I now make videos on YouTube, and it's called 'Moises'. 

Moises enables you to easily isolate a track from any song and even allows you to create a mix of your choice. For us bass players, we can create a backing track minus bass for any song. Once we have the backing track we can then create our own play-along videos.

Moises is pretty simple to use has some really cool features. The basic version of the program is free which is pretty unbelievable, seeing what it can do. it can be operated on a desktop version or through the Moises app.

In my latest YouTube video I talk you through using Moises for the first time and show you some of the extra features it has. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a fun little thing Moises does. Sometimes it can fall "between" tempos somehow :) 

I was recording my most recent video the other day, and used Moises for backing, basically playing to the drum track and the smart click track from the song I was recording. It was running from my phone for simple handling, through a bluetooth speaker.

When I was finished, and wanted to add the full, clickless backing track, I have exported it via the web client, imported to Reaper, and was trying to align them without any success, they always sounded bad together. I noticed despite both being 164, they're not the same tempo, the web version was slightly faster. So if I synced up the beginning of the song, the end was out of sync, and vice versa.

No problem, I thought, I'll just export it via the phone app then. But now the phone one matched the one from the web... so seems like I played my song to a "magic" 164 bpm that just can't be replicated, and now I'm without a backing track.

But I still had my video where the "magic" 164 and it's click was still audible, so I added that audio to Reaper, and then started playing around with the web export to try to match the magic one. Ultimately I found if you decrease the playback rate from 1 to 0.9988something, they finally match.

Lesson learned: if recording, always export the track first, and play along using a good ol' wav file. :) edit: even better, export the click track and the clickless at the same time, so no gremlin can mess with rounding errors etc

Edited by BabyBlueSound
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BabyBlueSound said:

Here's a fun little thing Moises does. Sometimes it can fall "between" tempos somehow :) 

I was recording my most recent video the other day, and used Moises for backing, basically playing to the drum track and the smart click track from the song I was recording. It was running from my phone for simple handling, through a bluetooth speaker.

When I was finished, and wanted to add the full, clickless backing track, I have exported it via the web client, imported to Reaper, and was trying to align them without any success, they always sounded bad together. I noticed despite both being 164, they're not the same tempo, the web version was slightly faster. So if I synced up the beginning of the song, the end was out of sync, and vice versa.

No problem, I thought, I'll just export it via the phone app then. But now the phone one matched the one from the web... so seems like I played my song to a "magic" 164 bpm that just can't be replicated, and now I'm without a backing track.

But I still had my video where the "magic" 164 and it's click was still audible, so I added that audio to Reaper, and then started playing around with the web export to try to match the magic one. Ultimately I found if you decrease the playback rate from 1 to 0.9988something, they finally match.

Lesson learned: if recording, always export the track first, and play along using a good ol' wav file. :) edit: even better, export the click track and the clickless at the same time, so no gremlin can mess with rounding errors etc

Thanks for this. Always handy to have more information on Moises. 

i generally create a mix on Moises and then download and load into Logic. Then I record to it. 

You can now do this with the stem splitter tool inside Logic Pro 11.

If you go to file -> Project Settings -> Smart Tempo & set [Project tempo mode] to [Adapt project tempo] when pulling in a recording, then set it to [Keep Project Tempo] any regions subsequently added can be in sync with the imported track.

Now it's possible to split the track into stems, you can mute the drums and add drummer regions, and the new drums will automagically be in time.

I did this yesterday with a track I originally recorded in the late 80s using my trusty fostex x-15 portastudio. The drums were from a Yamaha RX11 drum machine and I always thought they could be improved upon. Using the technique I outlined above, I muted the drums stem, and set up some drummer regions with Logic's simmons kit with a bit of gated reverb. After some more remixing (Logic's octaver pedal on the bass etc) and mastering I think the track now sounds very much improved, but still of the period.

Original version

2024 Remix

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1