Why become a member? ×

KSD ProtoJ5 mint
£450
West London

Steff

Posted (edited)

Continuing to thinning the herd, here’s a fine example of a Ken Smith Design ProtoJ 5. This is exactly the same one as Melvin Lee Davis plays here - 

Word over at TalkBass is that this one above is absolutely stock (by someone who claims he knows Melvin personally and have asked him about it). 

Really good condition and I have personally had it PLEK’d at Charlie Chandler guitars a few years ago which costed around £140 and haven’t played it much since - I’m not sure I have the receipt for that but I could give them a call and try to get a copy of it. It’s pretty obvious cos it plays like butter and has a nice low medium action. 

Bass is 35” scale, active with a two band EQ - stacked bass and treble. 

Video of the actual bass - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bov2VeJhE6q/?igsh=MXI2NmRvd3Q0aHdsMQ==

My one sounds with slightly less treble due to being strung with Elixir strings at the time which are know to have duller treble. Has some generic strings on right now. 

This one is for the real Men out there cos it weighs 5kg 😂 definitely not for me anymore nearing my 50’s. 

Reason for sale is again I have too many and tend to play my Fenders more so need to sell a few. 

I would consider trades for anything interesting - especially basses with older Bartolini electronics and pickups from the “K” or “T” lines. 

I’ve got two more basses listed and would do a deal for more than one purchase. 

I’m based in Ealing, west London but I’m happy to deliver personally at a reasonable distance if we split petrol costs. I won’t post as I don’t have any means to package it safe enough to be posted. I travel around the UK a lot and fairly often so can work something out.

IMG_0747.thumb.jpeg.0f37a466aed2fb066d45e4c11e0887d4.jpeg

IMG_0748.thumb.jpeg.a185206b7354a68c3e49dc888b738df8.jpegIMG_0749.thumb.jpeg.fb6cda884b00ac6ef0c19a9f5bab1577.jpegIMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.4192adfdff5e96a299451b4b9a447268.jpegIMG_0751.thumb.jpeg.204fa258fe3c073727e37427f2e9638d.jpeg

Edited by Steff
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Steff said:

Thank you mate! Nope these are active. Volume, blend and two band EQ - bass and treble. 

Definitely not active/passive switchable via pulling on the volume pot? 

Edited by Terry M.