Why become a member? ×

Tips to build technique on EUB avoiding RSI?

I just got my first EUB and love it.  But having mostly played electric guitar up to now, I can see that this is going to be quite a physical challenge?

Browsing various posts here, I can see recommendations to take it easy and build up time on the instrument gradually.  So, I'd be interested in advice on how to do this and sensibly build up to being able to practice on an EUB for increasing times, without risking RSI or other injury?

I'm guessing that good technique is really important?  So how best to get help with this?  Typically I've had lessons before on Zoom, but would it be best to be actually in the same room with a good teacher to get this sort of guidance?  It feels like I'm gripping the neck far too tight, where the thumb behind the neck should really be just a guide I think?

I can see that to achieve good technique will take time, so how would you balance the caution of doing it gradually with the wish to dive full in?

Thanks!

I’ll provide an answer but there are much more experienced players here that can help you.

Firstly, I practice for short periods but often. Say 15 - 20 minutes several times a day.

I use a mirror so I can see my fingering hand and look at what’s happening.

It seems you’re using your thumb to apply pressure to your fingers. Discovering Double Bass was great at helping me understand how little pressure you need.

I watch a lot of classical music live (part it my job sometimes) and the thumb is used as a reference point on the neck, but not to apply pressure. Every few minutes you’ll need to remember to relax your hand and use your arm weight to apply pressure. 

im struggling with all of this and have booked a lesson or two to help me. The best results will come from spending time with an experienced player. 

Build things up slowly and don’t agree to play 3 x 45s on Sunday this weekend.

Correct left hand technique on EUB is a challenge simply because you invariably end up supporting the bass to some degree with your left hand. I started my EUB journey like many with the Stagg that rotated constantly irrespective of how I used the body support. I then moved on to a KK Baby Bass, which despite the larger body and increased weight (those things are heavy) still required some left hand (left hand thumb) support. An old motorcycling injury to my left thumb meant the KK had to go. I now have the NS EUB where the stand takes all the pressure off my left hand / left thumb, but if I’m using the ‘arm weight’ method recommended by pro db players, I can pull the bass towards me lifting the feet of the stand. I have recently started to have the bass much higher but tilted back towards me which helps a lot with elbow/shoulder position which is something I really struggled with from the outset of my EUB journey.
From my experience, it’s extremely difficult to play an EUB like a db. Having played bass guitar for years I still tend to play my EUB using the pads of my fingers rather than the tips. 
In answer to your original question, I too use the ‘little and often’ approach to building/maintaining my hand strength. As I mainly work from home these days, I have my EUB on its stand in my man cave/office. Any trip to the toilet/for coffee ends with a quick noodle, and I often reward myself for having survived another pointless Zoom/Teams call with a quick five minute noodle too. 

42 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Correct left hand technique on EUB is a challenge simply because you invariably end up supporting the bass to some degree with your left hand. I started my EUB journey like many with the Stagg that rotated constantly irrespective of how I used the body support. I then moved on to a KK Baby Bass, which despite the larger body and increased weight (those things are heavy) still required some left hand (left hand thumb) support. An old motorcycling injury to my left thumb meant the KK had to go. I now have the NS EUB where the stand takes all the pressure off my left hand / left thumb, but if I’m using the ‘arm weight’ method recommended by pro db players, I can pull the bass towards me lifting the feet of the stand. I have recently started to have the bass much higher but tilted back towards me which helps a lot with elbow/shoulder position which is something I really struggled with from the outset of my EUB journey.
From my experience, it’s extremely difficult to play an EUB like a db. Having played bass guitar for years I still tend to play my EUB using the pads of my fingers rather than the tips. 
In answer to your original question, I too use the ‘little and often’ approach to building/maintaining my hand strength. As I mainly work from home these days, I have my EUB on its stand in my man cave/office. Any trip to the toilet/for coffee ends with a quick noodle, and I often reward myself for having survived another pointless Zoom/Teams call with a quick five minute noodle too. 

Good point. I found “proper” technique impossible on every EUB - including the Eminence, SLB etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  JPJ mentions struggling with the Stagg EUB to avoid it rotating - and my EUB is the Stagg - as advertised on here by Ordep and then in February intially.  So that may be a major part of the problem for me, is keeping it locked in position.  Which I can imagine would be a lot easier with a proper double bass.

I do have the stand for this.  I'm not really sure if that is meant to be used when you're playing it?  I'd assumed this is just when you are not playing?  I love the idea of the EUB and the smaller format, but can see the difficulty in wedging it in a position where it can't move.

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas and information!

Posted (edited)

One left hand tip that I found helpful when starting out on DB is not to squeeze the string down against the fingerboard -  as @Burns-bass says, the thumb is just a guide and you should be able to get a usable note without your thumb even touching the back of the neck (not saying you'll ever actually do this when playing normally of course).

To achieve this, you need to use the weight of your arm and your shoulder muscles to pull the string down, rather than your hand muscles.

I also recommend starting with the Simandl fingering method - you can modify it later but it's a good way to get your hand shape sorted out initially.

Edited by tinyd

15 hours ago, tinyd said:

One left hand tip that I found helpful when starting out on DB is not to squeeze the string down against the fingerboard -  as @Burns-bass says, the thumb is just a guide and you should be able to get a usable note without your thumb even touching the back of the neck (not saying you'll ever actually do this when playing normally of course).

To achieve this, you need to use the weight of your arm and your shoulder muscles to pull the string down, rather than your hand muscles.

I also recommend starting with the Simandl fingering method - you can modify it later but it's a good way to get your hand shape sorted out initially.

The Simandl book is great. You can find a copy for free download now (it’s out of copyright because of the age).

If you can’t find it email me and I’ll send you a copy.

• Like 1