Why become a member? ×

NPD - Ampeg Opto Comp..

VTypeV4

Ampeg TOH 24

I picked this lovely second-hand dynamics processor up for an absolute steal of only £40 from our favourite auction site, eBay. Since these first appeared a few years back, I've often  thought I really must try one - especially since I heard fellow bass-playing friend, Dave. His seemed to give a 'platform' to each note and tied his hard-hitting P-Bass sound into the rest of the band so I wondered if I could achieve the same although my sound is almost the opposite of his.

Test rig is Squier VM > Trace Elliot V6 (FX Loop Opto Comp - BiYang EQ) > Trace Elliot 2103H & 1153. 

I've only got a few hours on it so most opinions expressed here are based on initial impressions and observations. Firstly, it's very nicely made with well finished paint, firm controls and bright LEDs plus the slightly raised Ampeg logo finishes the unit very well indeed. Sound wise, it offers that 'platform' I'd hoped for so that's a win straight out of the box. That slightly lazy attack time (non-adjustable) is still a little bit faster than the compressor on the Trace V4 and not a million miles away from the units heritage, the uber-squashy LA2A but the release time really helps shape the other end of the envelope - surprisingly so - this definitely a 'character compressor'.. The blue LED indicates power whilst the green indicates gain reduction although there's almost certainly some compression occuring before indication.

I'll report back as I get more time with it although initial impressions are very good. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I've always been curious about them since I really like optical compressors. And I like the Led indicator. 

For live work, I've used a few compressors over the years with the longest and most consistent serving being an old Boss LMB-3. My usual go-to for recording is the built in Trace SMX dual band although I occasionally use a Digitech Dual Squeeze pedal which is OK but not my favourite although seems to work well with aggressive rock players.

Whilst very different, based on my limited time with the unit, I think this LA2A style compressor would work well (like a full fat LA2A would) with most situations - it hits the nail right on the head for me. I haven't gigged it or done any recording with it seems to be something of a secret weapon.. 😃    

Edited by VTypeV4
  • Like 1

I bought one of these as a recommendation on here that they work really well for fretless and it has really transformed my tone. It's super hard to describe but it's just sort of sprinkled magic dust over it, it just sounds so much better, tighter, more balanced and a nicer voice. Mine is on all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

it's just sort of sprinkled magic dust over it, it just sounds so much better..

Agreed - it's does so much more than I thought it would..

• Like 1

I’m glad to hear positive reports on these… In had one and I didn’t like it all!

I wanted to like it- nice build, nice price, nice look, and the gain reduction LED is a really nice touch. But for me, it took something away from the sound (I only tried it with my Jazz, I think). It wasn’t the compression characteristics as such, but tonally it took a big part of what I like about the Jazz away. I can only use silly meaningless adjectives, but it took away the slight ‘chewiness/stickyness’ that I like in my Jazz. Something in the upper midrange.

That’s just me though - the same effect could very easily be complimentary to other basses and playing styles.

• Like 1