Why become a member? ×

Dunlop Standard Steel Rounds -v- Superbright Steel Rounds

I love Dunlop Superbright Steel Rounds. They are not actually that bright - not as bright as Prosteels for example, but they have a lovely feel under the fingers with lower noise and a round core for flexibility.

However, the biggest set they do is 45-105 and for my shortie I really wish they had a heavier / less flexible A and E - just by a little bit

Dunlop do standard steel rounds in 50-110. Does anyone know if the wrap wire is the same on these so they have the same low-noise as the Superbrights?

The Standards are hex core so I would expect them to be less flexible, maybe even to the point that a 105 would be plenty with the hex core.

Has anyone played both of these?

ta

Superbrights are actually hexcore - they just use a smaller core which makes them more flexible. 

Black Label Dunlops sound different to Superbrights - they're more broken in from the start and not as bright. If you want a similar feel to 45-105 SS Superbrights, I would go for 40-100 personally. 45-105 would be more tension for sure, perhaps too much? The Black Labels are very similar tension to XLs and Slinkys in my experience. 

DR Pure Blues and SIT Foundations are two other strings very similar to Superbrights. Pure Blues are probably the stiffest of those three.