Why become a member? ×

Unearthly Gallows Noise Gate - Boutique Fortin Zuul Clone - now £45, read update! - *SOLD*
£95

Kev

Up for sale I have something a little unusual!

It is a clone of a Fortin Zuul noise gate pedal, built by a small Australian builder in very low quantities.  The quality of the build is exceptional, picture can't really do the dark artwork justice, and having owned a Zuul before, can confirm it nails the action.  Choppy aggressive gate with a haunting silence between notes (probably inspiration for the art!).  It has the all key input (side chain) so you can trigger the gate with your clean signal, and has a side chain through like the Zuul +. For anyone using high gain bass distortion and plays anything remotely djenty, this is ESSENTIAL to get the right effect.

I bought this as the Quad Cortex I use doesn't have the sidechaining function and the gates are a little loose for me, which I've been battling with for a while.  Of course, literally the same week I bought this pedal, Neural DSP announced that sidechaining was being introduced for the noise gates in the next update.....you can't make it up!

SO yes, as much as I want to keep this pedal because of how cool it looks, in reality it just doesn't offer enough that I don't already have with the QC, so it needs to go.

£95 £85 plus a few quid for shipping, depending on what service you want.  The cheapest Zuul will set you back over £200, so enjoy this bargain!

ympt32uqvwxiormzlith.thumb.jpg.cdc6136d69ba1c876e9346eb1f8adec4.jpg

zhggre9zrk5ijnp9fztp.thumb.jpg.8ae8aafc6f19933888c6b2b425b6c260.jpg

xmnba5ohbatjp7chiz2n.thumb.jpg.b47b1ff51ea0abd11aa095fba24d9ba2.jpg

oytadjeozemgvihbe6al.thumb.jpg.e4f6f7903228ca5b919af486e7f4bb3f.jpg

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2

On 26/04/2024 at 13:38, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Oh my. I'm in love. 

It's a bit of a looker!  In a morbid kind of way.

Still available, bargain to be honest, considering what it is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

It's a bit of a looker!  In a morbid kind of way.

Still available, bargain to be honest, considering what it is!

I've just bought a new bass and a DOD Carcosa....I'm broke or I'd have your arm off for it. ☹️

• Like 1

• Kev changed the title to Unearthly Gallows Noise Gate - Boutique Fortin Zuul Clone - now £85
  • Kev changed the title to Unearthly Gallows Noise Gate - Boutique Fortin Zuul Clone - now £45, read update!

So whilst I have continued to use this pending sale (the Quad Cortex update is still pending!) I have noticed a potential intermittent peculiarity with its gating action.  I don't know if I'm imagining it, especially given the choppy nature of the gate design, but very occasionally whilst playing, the gate seems to kick in a little early i.e. begins to close even when I'm sure I'm playing above the threshold.  Whenever I notice this, I attempt to recreate it and can't!  Sweet as a whistle for the rest of the session.

I'm not sure if there is an intermittent fault with the pedal, or the fault lies elsewhere in the chain, but I can't sell this on as fully working in good faith.  So I'm dropping this right down to £45, if anyone wants to give it a go!

Hi Kev - can I ask what your signal chain is running into it? Does the fault appear during particular styles of playing (i.e. quieter sections), or is it just random?

Just trying to understand what the issue could be with it. Ultimately would want to gig with it so potentially is a concern if its got some random fault.

So my signal chain is bass > Gallows Sidechain in/out > Quad Cortex, with the main in/out of the Gallows in an effects loop.

The fault, when it appears, happens when a note is left ringing out for a few bars and, to my ears, the gate kicks in and lowers levels too soon, with the LED indicating that's what it's doing too (it changes colour when the gate is open and closed).  As I say, it could be in my head as I have never managed to recreate it on purpose, and I do have the gate turned up high to make the gating action as hard and choppy as possible, which could be related too.  I've gigged it for a couple of months without any problem, its only during bedroom noodling I've experienced it. 

• Kev changed the title to Unearthly Gallows Noise Gate - Boutique Fortin Zuul Clone - now Sold