Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

interesting… I have always envisaged my music as LP records because it is the format that I grew up with. I am lucky enough to say most have been released on vinyl and sold quite well. My current band do small run CDs because I don’t think we have the audience to sell vinyl to. I wish we did but I don’t want hundreds taking up space here. 

My bands' audiences appear to be made up of people like me who sold all their vinyl and replaced the albums they couldn't live without with the CD version.

CDs still sell very well, vinyl form those bands that do offer it doesn't appear to do as well.

The only vinyl I still have are albums and singles that have never been re-released in a digital format that I haven't yet got around to digitising myself.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

In the various bands I've played in, we've tried to run a merch table.  It honestly made me sick to my stomach when a punter would come over and ask, 'Have you got any vinyls?'  Vinyls.  Collective noun, plural.  Vinyls.

I mean, you simply wanted to walk around the other side of the table and beat the guy to a pulp.  "Look, we have t-shirts, little cards with Soundcloud/Spotify links, free stickers and a pile of signed CDs that we've all been burning for the last few days, but do you see vinyls?  No. F*ck off!"

Your average punter has no idea how much hassle it is to get records pressed, and yeah, we don't have vinyls because nobody will buy them and they'll haggle us down because they won't pay enough to cover our pressing costs.  I've spent days in the studio refining these recordings, why should I have them pressed on a format that sounds like we were eating Rice Krispies during the mastering process.

Vinyls.

Exactly.

The Terrortones vinyl sold well, but that's because we had an audience for it. Had we had a full year's worth of gigs after the album came out I'd have none left.

I'm seriously thinking of getting new labels printed for all the records I have left over and passing them off as the new album by one of my current bands. After all the sorts of poseurs who by "vinyls" never actually play them.

Edited by BigRedX