Why become a member? ×

Pickup Height - Warman MM6 (Musicman lkke humbucker)

Morning all,

I appreciate pickup height is subjective, but can fould suggest a good starting point please?

My bass is HH configuration 6 string Harley Benton. The pickups have been changed to Warman MM6s.

These are spec'ed as:

16 kOhm

12 Henries

https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/product/mm-double-6-6-string-bass-bucker-16kohm-pickup/

I've seen suggestions that the standard ~3mm neck and ~2.5mm bridge with top frets pressed maybe too close for generic Musicman style pickups?

My hearing isn't great, so conformation of a good starting point is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by DocTrucker

Use your ears and adjust so that the output balance across strings.

Numbers are useless, especially when not knowing what kind of magnetic pull your specific pickups exerts on the strings, and what strings you use.

About 3mm low string side and about 2mm high string side with strings fretted at last fret is a good bet of a starting point though, but you would probably want to adjust downwards from there, to avoid too much magnetic pull on the strings, until the output across the strings is balanced.

Note that the closer the pickups get to the strings the bigger difference in output and tone relatively to the adjustments made will be.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Thanks.

Appreciate the reminder about a set turn on the pickup height screws having more tonal effect when the pick up is close to the strings compare to a pickup further away.

My neck pickup was far too close after I initially put it back together. I was getting some strange harmonics.