Why become a member? ×

Jack plate... brilliant!

A few years back I landed a Hamer FBIV, photo of which is below.  I wanted it all black, so that Christmas my good lady got me a replacement bridge/machines; ain't she lovely (the bass, that is):

image.thumb.png.e627dbe07f5094ffe142321fa110b5cb.png

The one thing I detested was the jack output was a Stratocaster style one, so I kind of got round that by doing an Alex Lifeson and flipping it upsidedown.  I mean, it worked, but still didn't like it:

20240413_111511.thumb.jpg.1c66ff53311660aa04337d1c7a4743e1.jpg

I searched eBay once in a while for a flat plate - there's not many out there and they're generally in the US or Japan, so at my wife's suggestion, I put a post up on our village FB page asking if anyone locally could make me one.  Up stepped teenage hobbyist, who'd been doing small work for a local model railway group, et viola!

20240413_112448.thumb.jpg.2d27093687d8bc0e303baf126fd7a5f2.jpg

Beautiful work.  Happy bunny.

Edited by NancyJohnson
Clarity
  • Like 7

I must admit I liked how the reverse "Strat" jack socket looked, also seems to me that it would be more practical considering jack plug/cable insert.

But it is your bass, so of course what matters is that you like it.

The black hardware I agree with though, definitely suits it much better than I would imagine chrome hardware looked on it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I must admit I liked how the reverse "Strat" jack socket looked, also seems to me that it would be more practical considering jack plug/cable insert.

But it is your bass, so of course what matters is that you like it.

The black hardware I agree with though, definitely suits it much better than I would imagine chrome hardware looked on it.

I favour right-angled jacks when the signal exits the bass; never had one pull out of a bass by mistake (like straight ones). 

With the Strat socket reversed, it worked to a fashion, but wasn't particularly elegant.  The flat plate is just dreamy.  Right-angle jack plug or Lekato wireless.