Why become a member? ×

Intermittent output / Jack issue

I took delivery of my new Squier Classic Vibe “60s Precision this week and I bloody love it but, when the guitar lead is plugged fully in there’s no sound, if I pull the jack back a fraction it kicks into life and sounds fine.  I played it at rehearsal last night and it only fell silent once, a quick jiggle of the jack sorted it.

What can I do to remedy this?

I don’t want to play and worry if I’m going to suddenly fall silent.

Replace the jack socket - with a genuine Switchcraft (or a Pure-Tone) mono socket

Output Jacks – Northwest Guitars

Pure Tone Multi-Contact 1/4" Output Jack – Armstrong Music

Good for another twenty years...

Also, check the existing jack with another cable? It could be a duff jack plug.

Edited by Bigguy2017

@Bigguy2017 I just checked the socket and it’s fine, I tried a few different leads and the results were surprising.  

Fender and Klotz leads when plugged in, the jack plug wobbles a bit and it feels slightly ‘too thin’ for the socket, both of these had intermittent output and the sound kept dropping out 🤔.

D’Addario, Roland and Tourtech leads on the other hand, have jacks that fit nice and snug in the socket and, they didn’t have any problems at all.

Turns out that different manufacturers leads have ever so slightly varying sizes of jack plug….who knew? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's been a long while since I had a P [1] but IIRC the jack socket is one of these:

6.35-mm-Mono-Chassis-Guitar-Jack-connect

If so, you can gently bend the connector which goes to the tip inwards a bit so it presses more on the tip, which will also push the plug over a bit and make better contact with the sleeve.

[1] Stop sniggering at the back