Why become a member? ×

My personal Golden Jubilee

This month is a bit of a milestone for me as it marks 50 years since I first picked up a bass. For a while before I’d being trying to find a musical instrument that I actually enjoyed playing. But for Christmas 2023 I acquired the albums ‘Quadrophenia’, ‘Band on the Run’ and ‘Innervisions’, and with John Entwhistle, Paul McCartney and Stevie’s left hand for inspiration, for my 16th birthday I got a bass, an amp and a ‘how to’ book and never looked back. For a while I was very serious indeed, but then motorbikes, and then family, came along, and my bass sat unloved in a corner of the spare room for many years. But about 15 years or so ago, I got the bug again, and I’ve been in your typical dozen-gigs-a-year dad-rock pub covers bands ever since. And loving (almost) every minute. I guess that there are many others on Basschat who could tell a similar story. Think I’ve a couple of years left before I’ll have to quit regular gigging as age catches up on me, but I plan to make the most of it!

• Like 14

Great story @northstreet - and one many of us on here can relate to....

My golden jubilee will be next year and now you've mentioned it, it's made me think about how I'd like to celebrate it...?? 🤔

Meanwhile, whilst pondering that, I just wanted to comment on the three musicians you've mentioned as your inspiration, Macca,  Entwistle and Stevie Wonder - what an incredible trio they are...!

Personally, I love Macca and Entwistle's bass playing and they rightly get a lot of praise (and someimes flak) for it..

But in some ways, I have even more admiration for Stevie Wonder, who IMHO, is one of the best bass players, and best bassline composers, of the last 50+ years or so.... His run of albums in the 1970s was just astonishing and are full of incredible basslines...

Anyway, just to say I hope you enjoy your next few gigging years, and thanks for sharing your story ! 

• Thanks 1

My golden jubilee year next year too. The band I started out in was part-covers, part-originals with something of a prog feel about them. At that time I didn't have a bass player that influenced me, I just sort of adapted what I'd learnt from being a not very good lead guitarist.

• Like 2