Why become a member? ×

Multi band bills

Mickeyboro

I have just put together an ‘Evening of Folk, Blues and Americana’, happening at a local arts centre on Thursday.

I chose two other acts I felt were compatible with my own Otis Jay Blues Band. We shall see how it all works - no idea if they have sold any tickets. 

Any tales of doing this kind of thing?

When I was in The Terrortones, once a month we would put on a "Dick Venom Presents..." gig at a local venue. Mr Venom would pick a better known band in a compatible genre to us and we would play support. Very useful for building up our gig "CV" that let us claim we had shared the bill with numerous well-respected bands which would open doors for gigs elsewhere. It also gave us a low-pressure local gig where we could try out our newly written songs.

This ran very successfully for a couple years, but eventually its success contributed to its downfall. It had got to the point where we were often attracting a bigger audience than the headliners. It was rather embarrassing to see a significant number of people leave after we had played and not stay to see the supposedly better-know main act who had often cost quite a bit of money to get to play. This in turn was the secondary problem where the venue was now too small for the event, but booking better-known bands and hiring a bigger venue was a massive step up in terms of the amount of money we would need to front to make it happen, and the financial side just got too risky.

• Thanks 1