Why become a member? ×

GK 1001 head throu MBX 112 Extension Cabinet

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi all

I have a GK 1001 head and two RBH 2X10 cabs that are great but too big to get on the bus with a double bass, so was thinking, as a fan of the MB150 but being a bit of a miser, could I just buy a GK MBX 112 Extension Cabinet and use that with the 1001 if I'm carefull with volume ?

It'll be fine as long as you can hear yourself wel enough to hear whether it's distorting. I wouldn't worry about how much you turn up the volume knobs because the power that comes out is a product of how loud the signal is going in and how much gain the volume knobs add, so if your bass is quite quiet and you have a light touch you might end up turning up quite 'loud' but all you're really doing is adding extra gain.

The big killer potentially with that cab will be if you add much bass boost - because it's a sealed cab the excusion is better limited by the internal back-pressure so you could pour quite a lot of power in without the speaker farting out or audibly complaining, and thus overheat the voice coil.

Alex

Guest subaudio

Thanks very much guys

On reflection I am very close to ordering a Genz Benz 10" combo, the weight is out of this world and I hear very good things about it, hopefully it will take up the slack in between being totally acoustic and needing my GK rig (and a van to move it with)

Edited by subaudio