Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Rewiring

hopkinsgm

Hi

Just because I'm an awkward bugger, I'd like to change my Jazz Bass from conventional wiring with seperate volume controls per pickup and a common passive tone to a master volume with a centre detented blend/mix control (and retaining the common passive tone for now). Obviously, the pickups need to be wired to the blend/mix control, with the blended/mixed output going to master volume and then to tone control before heading to the output jack. Don't suppose anyone has a wee schematic for a blend control do they? If anyone can suggest values (and a suitable supplier) for the respective pots, then that'd be handy too.

Thanks in advance folks,

G

Edited by hopkinsgm

[quote name='hopkinsgm' post='488426' date='May 15 2009, 01:00 AM']Hi

Just because I'm an awkward bugger, I'd like to change my Jazz Bass from conventional wiring with seperate volume controls per pickup and a common passive tone to a master volume with a centre detented blend/mix control (and retaining the common passive tone for now). Obviously, the pickups need to be wired to the blend/mix control, with the blended/mixed output going to master volume and then to tone control before heading to the output jack. Don't suppose anyone has a wee schematic for a blend control do they? If anyone can suggest values (and a suitable supplier) for the respective pots, then that'd be handy too.

Thanks in advance folks,

G[/quote]
Hi G,
Have a full set of ready wired up Vol/Blend/Tone Jack if you are interested.

Have done this before on a Tokai J-copy but it changes the sound somewhat. You'll need a special pot for the blend control, just can't remember what type. Best sound still happens with the conventional wiring, though I've read about alternative (series vs parallel) ways that must sound good too. Let's see if I can dig up that Rick Turner/BassPlayer story.

Crikey, that was quick! Thanks all!

@Paul_C - very useful, I'd consulted an ancient copy of Donald Brosnac's Guitar Electronics for Musicians that dates back to extensive guitar wiring modifications many years ago, but the book makes no mention of blend pots.

@BassBunny - might be interested if the price is right, tho I'm not afraid of going component shopping and experience has taught me which end of a soldering iron is the hot end. :)

@JanSpeeltBas - thanks for heads up. It's an easily reversible mod tho and if it's not to my taste then it's only going to have cost me a blend pot, a bit of solder and some hookup wire, so not the end of the world.

Cheers,

G