Why become a member? ×

Music Man Bongo Bass £65 on FB

Shylock

On 27/02/2024 at 08:19, ossyrocks said:

I do sell things on Facebook, but I try to be as reassuring as possible. Even WhatsApp video called with a potential buyer to demo an amp recently. 
Right now, there’s a cab on Facebook I would like to buy, the seller is responsive, but wants me to arrange the courier, but also can’t yet tell me the dimensions or weight. It’s not on Basschat either. I don’t know if it’s worth the worry. 
Rob

So, I have taken this one forward. The Facebook seller turns out to be a Parish Councilor and possibly an upstanding member of society, albeit a bit s**t at Facebook and apparently inept in the art of postage. He packed the cab, sent me pics, weight and dimensions. I did have to point out that a single layer of thin carboard around the cab would not cut the mustard when it came to actual shipping, and that he should consider what potential trials and tribulations the cab may encounter on it's journey north. After providing some guidance, the cab has now been wrapped in a sufficient amount of bubblewrap and boxed again, with pictures sent to me for approval. I have still had to book my own shipping and send him a label, but I believe the cab is now on route. I may, perhaps, be in possession of a new cab in the next day or two, we'll see.

Why do people find it so hard to "adult" these days?

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

On 27/02/2024 at 00:43, Shylock said:

So there is the same photo of a black Music Man Bongo bass guitar and case being sold for £65, which you may have seen, by at least four different dodgy profile sellers (and different additional ones appear each night)  in at least four different locations around the UK and so I reported all four adverts to FB, as they take scams seriously, at the same time and guess what? This is what the said!

"Thanks again for your report. This information helps us reduce unwanted content for you and others.

We use a combination of technology and human reviewers to process reports and identify content that goes against our Community Standards. In this case, we did not remove the content that you reported"

Beggars belief! A Music Man Bongo Bass for £65!😂

IME fb does not moderate as much as they want you to think. Ive reported posts at home in Cyprus several times, same guy always. Theyre in Greek, this is proper hate speech. No I'm not being a tofu eating wokeratus, it's almost a textbook example of what they themselves define as unacceptable on a community page. Dehumanising language, sweeping judgements on populations and encouraging people to "do something about it". Guess what, nothing done. Pathetic.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, G-Lo said:

IME fb does not moderate as much as they want you to think. Ive reported posts at home in Cyprus several times, same guy always. Theyre in Greek, this is proper hate speech. No I'm not being a tofu eating wokeratus, it's almost a textbook example of what they themselves define as unacceptable on a community page. Dehumanising language, sweeping judgements on populations and encouraging people to "do something about it". Guess what, nothing done. Pathetic.

Yet you use terms like "tofu eating wokeratus"...

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Yet you use terms like "tofu eating wokeratus"...

Ironically, after a Tory politician used that cringeworthy "zinger" to declare her "war on woke". What I was trying to convey is that I'm not out trying to police people's opinions, this guy is a genuine hatemonger trying to get people physically hurt.

I’m going to buy it.

And then tell them I’m away with work so am going to send a courier to pick it up. I just need them to pay for the insurance by entering their card details on a link I send them and then I’ll reimburse it.

On 27/02/2024 at 09:25, neepheid said:

So, the bass is in Nottingham, but the "seller" lives in Birmingham.  Is it this easy to scam people these days?

It will be a hacked account, probably the account on someone who is pretty much inactive on Facebook. They will likely have listed loads of different types of bargain goods, often with the same price tag.

Guess it must be worth their while otherwise why do it ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikegatward said:

It will be a hacked account, probably the account on someone who is pretty much inactive on Facebook. They will likely have listed loads of different types of bargain goods, often with the same price tag.

Guess it must be worth their while otherwise why do it ?

I know how it works, I'm lamenting the fact that some people don't ask the simple questions that would keep them safer online.  As you point out (and as I was alluding to, possibly too obliquely), enough folk must fall for it or else they wouldn't do it.

Every year , in early spring , I hear of a couple of impossibly great finds that actually happen. Old Pbasses that go for $35. Yard sales and flea markets. People getting rid of a relatives stuff etc etc . 
It does happen. But it’s never me finding the original deal. I’ve heard it can take several sales before something fetches market value.