Why become a member? ×

Can anyone help ID this Aria jazz bass?

daws0n

Picked this up today on a whim from a local s/h shop - it's been strung with flat wounds and modded with a badass bass ii bridge - the burgundy pick ups suggest they're not original either.

Back plate says "steel adjustable neck made in Japan" with serial number starting with 05.

I've a hunch it could be a 60s/70s model, any ideas?

Plugged in and she's a bit quiet but all pots are working.

DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

DSC_0224.JPG

Edited by daws0n
  • Like 1

Late 70s (hooky headstock shape says 1976 or later), made by Matsumoku. The pickups (or those red covers at least) & the BA2 aren't original, and it may have been refinished - 9 times out of 10 MIJ Jazz copies will be sunburst or natural.

For the most part the serials Matsumoku used on 'Steel Adjustable' neckplates are random & can't be dated. They used several different formats but weren't consistently dateable until probably around 1980.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bassassin said:

Late 70s (hooky headstock shape says 1976 or later), made by Matsumoku. The pickups (or those red covers at least) & the BA2 aren't original, and it may have been refinished - 9 times out of 10 MIJ Jazz copies will be sunburst or natural.

For the most part the serials Matsumoku used on 'Steel Adjustable' neckplates are random & can't be dated. They used several different formats but weren't consistently dateable until probably around 1980.

interesting. I didn't notice the hooked headstock. Would make sense for later 70s then

Good spot on the headstock Bassassin, I didn't know that either! Re: finish it's had a life and taken a few knocks, not bothered as it wasn't an expensive buy.

The pick up screws are badly rounded on a couple of sides, so I'll be swappijg them out before I look under the covers

- putting these on order

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266341683444

DSC_0225~2.JPG

Edited by daws0n

Posted (edited)

Given the bass a setup and it's singing well across the fretboard - turns out the muted tone on the A string was caused by the bad bass bridge innotation screw - it was too close and was choking the string. Action/innotation sorted and the strings wrapped tidy around the tuning pegs. No more choking and playing much better now.

She almost took a bad knock on the weekend, I brought it down to show a mate of mine who's into his guitars - 5 mins after putting back on stand the bass slid side ways falling onto the living room TV!! Luckily I caught it before a total drop, but left with a scratched panel and bent machine head. Bloody annoying but nothing broken thankfully, could of been worse.

Lesson learnt the hard way there, simple A frames have been absolutely fine for smaller Ibanez basses but for larger jazz bodies they can be unstable. Just collected a new stand off eBay for a tenner, much better :)

machine head.jpg

DSC_0265~2.JPG

Edited by daws0n