Why become a member? ×

VBT rewire; Ultimate No-load Ungrounded Blend

TRBboy

Hey folks! 😊

Finally got around to rewiring my BBN5 last night, I've never liked the VVT setup it came with as standard, and the tone pot was a bit 'all or nothing'.

I used a schematic from a thread I saw some years ago on TB, and installed successfully on my PJ5 build last year. It really seems to work well, and I'd swear my Yamaha just sounds 'better' now too.

The OP in the original thread actually cuts the traces each end of the blend pot, to give a true solo sound of each pickup at the two extremes of the pot rotation. I didn't bother with this, but it still just works really well, good smooth blending of the pickups and great tone.

I know it's hardly advanced electronics, but it does work well, so I just thought I'd share in case it was of interest to anybody.

Oh, and I changed my knobs while I was at it 😅.

Original thread: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ultimate-no-load-ungrounded-blend-pot-pics.1096449/

PXL_20240213_131238109.jpg

jazz bass ungrounded blend (2).jpg

• Like 3

Presume you mean MN rather than No Load?

My experiance with Bourns pots is the larger Dia on the threaded shaft, had to enlarge the hole on my SR600

I've used these in anything with 2 pickups...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314752125906?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bflzq06tszk&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=daj_hJ6fSo-&var=613264511655&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

250k for Single Coil PJs and 500k for the Twin Coil DiMarzio Jazz and Maida Vale Stacked Jazz...

• Like 1

Type MN has two tracks starting from the centre, not the ends. Therefore the centre is a no load situation.

My favourite is still Noll Mixpot, because it is no load for both pickups through the whole adjustment area.

• Like 1

I used just a cheap 250k MN from eBay and it seems to work fine. I've had crappy CTS pots, but all the cheap pots I've had have been great, so I'm happy to stick with cheap and cheerful 😅

It's only a true 'no load' circuit if you cut the traces at either end of the pot, nevertheless it works well without that. I'm not really fussed if each pickup isn't quite fully soloed at each extreme.