Why become a member? ×

Characterising Amps and Cabs

Stub Mandrel

16 hours ago, nekomatic said:

There's a great book about whisky, Whisky Classified by David Wishart - wait, I promise this is relevant - in which he uses a systematic mathematical process to (ahem) distil the thousands of different words people use to describe whisky into a set of about ten or twelve terms that each describe one aspect of a whisky's flavour, in a way that different people can actually understand and agree on, and between them cover the whole flavour space. So you could rank any given whisky on those ten or twelve dimensions and come up with a profile that describes reasonably well what it's like, and what others it's similar to and different from (which he does in the book, making it a great introduction to whisky for the non-expert, such as me).

Anyway, I reckon one could do something similar to characterise amp and cab sounds. It'd be a lot of work though, more than anyone I think would be able to do without some funding (because you need lots of people to contribute their ratings, and I'm willing to bet it's a lot easier to recruit volunteers for tasting whiskies than for listening to a bunch of bass amps). But if someone were to try, I think that's how you'd do it. 

Recalling my training in numerical taxonomy some forty years ago, I did consider the potential for using multivariate analysis in order to place amplifiers in some sort ot multidimensional space... but common sense rejected it...

It's interesting to speculate what the variables might be, but it must be done by the makers of emulators and modelling amps.

Blackstar's mini guitar amps have a knob that changes the sound from 'american' to 'british'. You could have multiple sliders for 'heft', 'grit', 'warmth' etc...