Why become a member? ×

why would one need/want to run a pedal like this at 18v?

lidl e

i understand the answer is likely "more headroom" but what does that mean in this case? you can run a hotter (active?) signal into it without distorting?

https://www.boostguitarpedals.co.uk/products/signal-cheyne-sirius-parallel-blender

on another note, anyone know this crowd? Any good?

Also, can someone let me know the price in £££. it only shows euros for me.

Edited by lidl e

8 hours ago, lidl e said:

i understand the answer is likely "more headroom" but what does that mean in this case? you can run a hotter (active?) signal into it without distorting?

Precisely. Higher headroom means it takes a stronger (louder) signal before it starts distorting / compressing. In some cases, the tone itself can feel bigger, more 3D, more expansive.

• Like 1

maybe some electronics guru can correct me, but instrument signals are a few hundred mV at peak, so I would have thought that 9V would have been ample as a supply.

I've always thought the whole 18V supply thing was "more is betterer" marketing guff, or maybe pedal companies just like selling more units after customers fry their 9V pedals with an 18V supply.  🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2024 at 03:14, badger said:

maybe some electronics guru can correct me, but instrument signals are a few hundred mV at peak, so I would have thought that 9V would have been ample

I've put basses on an oscilloscope and some can easily have transient peaks as high as 2V when played hard. Yes, the average level tends to be in the hundreds of mV, but they're very peaky. Having said that, I've never felt that 18V was necessary. One can always use rail-to-rail op amps that can make full use of the 9V supply. That ought to be enough headroom for anything I can think of in an electric guitar/bass. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jerry C said:

One can always use rail-to-rail op amps that can make full use of the 9V supply...

...when battery is fresh, and the circuitry enables full scale. ±4.5 V is pretty much on the preamp side.