Why become a member? ×

Source Audio ZIO Bass Preamp!

thisisswanbon

57 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Well I got this yesterday evening and it’s really very nice indeed. Not sure it’s going to replace my Fliptop as it’s a bit cleaner sounding than that. Definitely makes my bass sound way better and the grit has a very nice quality to it.

Oh, and the new thing. 🤯 It’s brilliant!

I'm made of questions!

How did you find the 2 band eq, any issue with mids?

In what way did it make you sound way better?

Is it majorly transparent, or does it sweeten?

Was this to your amp or through phones?

Oh, and what's the new thing? 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thisisswanbon said:

I'm made of questions!

How did you find the 2 band eq, any issue with mids?

In what way did it make you sound way better?

Is it majorly transparent, or does it sweeten?

Was this to your amp or through phones?

Oh, and what's the new thing? 😁

The lack of mid control didn’t bother me. The Fliptop also only has bass and treble, as does my Sadowsky pre. For reference I play a P with Labella flats. My other has Chromes on but I haven’t used that through it.

As to how it made the sound better, fattened it up nicely. Puts a bit more bottom into the low-mid-forward P sound.

Transparent vs sweeten? Not sure if I can tell the difference. It obviously changes the sound but my bass still sounds like my bass.

This was coming directly off the preamp into headphones.

Can’t spill the beans about the new thing, I’m afraid, NDA and all that. It is as adventurous as stuff like C4 and Ultrawave. It does some very neat things and nicely addresses some things people have been asking for. I think it’ll go down well. I’ve already made some nice presets today and have thought of a few feature ideas that I’ve fed back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

The lack of mid control didn’t bother me. The Fliptop also only has bass and treble, as does my Sadowsky pre. For reference I play a P with Labella flats. My other has Chromes on but I haven’t used that through it.

As to how it made the sound better, fattened it up nicely. Puts a bit more bottom into the low-mid-forward P sound.

Transparent vs sweeten? Not sure if I can tell the difference. It obviously changes the sound but my bass still sounds like my bass.

This was coming directly off the preamp into headphones.

Can’t spill the beans about the new thing, I’m afraid, NDA and all that. It is as adventurous as stuff like C4 and Ultrawave. It does some very neat things and nicely addresses some things people have been asking for. I think it’ll go down well. I’ve already made some nice presets today and have thought of a few feature ideas that I’ve fed back. 

Oh Wow!  Didn't expect you to answer EVERY question, thought I was pushing my luck!  That's awesome, thanks!

I'm half way between having a THIRD shot at an HX stomp, or giving the Zio a go... I know they do VERY different things, but £250 feels a lot for 4 knobs, 2 switches and a DI with no aux in.  That being said, I really like the look of what it DOES do, and I think it'll be more direct sounding than my Laney Digbeth pre.

With regards to the new thing... you tease! I have no doubt SA will hit it out of the park again... can you say if it replaces the C4 and Ultrawave, or is it run in tandem alongside them as they do with each other?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Oh Wow!  Didn't expect you to answer EVERY question, thought I was pushing my luck!  That's awesome, thanks!

I'm half way between having a THIRD shot at an HX stomp, or giving the Zio a go... I know they do VERY different things, but £250 feels a lot for 4 knobs, 2 switches and a DI with no aux in.  That being said, I really like the look of what it DOES do, and I think it'll be more direct sounding than my Laney Digbeth pre.

With regards to the new thing... you tease! I have no doubt SA will hit it out of the park again... can you say if it replaces the C4 and Ultrawave, or is it run in tandem alongside them as they do with each other?

It replaces nothing. It’s its own thing. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 3

So yesterday I caved and ordered the last one of these in stock at Andertons.  Figured if it's better than my Digbeth I'll sell the Digbeth and JPTR FX Jive to cover most of the damage.  

Was massively excited for it to arrive today, only to receive the dreaded DPD "Sorry, your Andertons parcel is delayed due to unexpected issue" text 😔.

Looks like my field report will be put back a week...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/02/2024 at 11:15, thisisswanbon said:

So yesterday I caved and ordered the last one of these in stock at Andertons.  Figured if it's better than my Digbeth I'll sell the Digbeth and JPTR FX Jive to cover most of the damage.  

Was massively excited for it to arrive today, only to receive the dreaded DPD "Sorry, your Andertons parcel is delayed due to unexpected issue" text 😔.

Looks like my field report will be put back a week...

And…?

23 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

And…?

I'm digging it!

Still trying to find the right balance between the grit switch and the saturation from my jptr fx Jive, but the Jive might end up going the distance anyways...

I tend to heavily boost the bass and tune with the focus, roll the treble right back (the treble roll off is fantastically tuned, even at 9 o clock the sound isn't muddy at all). Grit on and low, and scoop off.

Lack of aux in is every bit the gripe I thought it would be, but other than that I'm getting a filthy P sound with this, the jive and a snide cali76 without overly colouring my other effects 👌

20240308_203649.thumb.jpg.b597d6874dd013d031d794025e2fdfeb.jpg

• Like 1