Why become a member? ×

Yamaha barrel jack replacement

Hello,

My Yamaha BBG5S bass has problems with its barrel input jack. I had a conversation with Yamaha support today and they said the jack with part number QA209900 (which is the one in my bass) has got a replacement in AX800760. However that part is not available from Yamaha anymore. I think this is a somewhat strange way of working. When a bass gets older the probability that something needs repair gets higher. I.e., then parts should be available to purchase. But Yamaha does it the other way around and discontinue parts and have no idea on how to get a replacement.

I had an idea that I could replace the barrel jack with a Switchcraft 151, but realized that that part does not break the battery power when the cable is taken out of the jack. So it wasn't any good idea :-(

Is there any one of you fellow chatters that have an idea how I can find a replacement for the Yamaha QA209900/AX800760 barrel jack?

Best regards, Len

I just replaced the barrel jack on my Ibanez with a new one from Ebay UK. They say it's Neutrik but there's no branding on it, although it works fine. However, the connections are not physically identical to the original and it's not obvious how it should be wired. So make sure you have a cheap meter to test for continuity. Look for item no. 190816570970. They cost £3.69 plus postage.

The Switchcraft 151 is mono and you need a stereo jack for battery switching.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Many thanks stevie! I just realized that the stereo jack does the work for battery switching. And I found recommendations to go for a Neutrik or Switchcraft. So, I will now start looking for these 🙂

Again, thanks!

Edited by LenBass

Two things to bear in mind:

1. Barrel jacks are consumables
  2. As a consequence of 1, make sure it's as easy to replace as possible. Soldering to the terminals while it's in place is almost certainly going to be a PITA, so see if you can pull it out far enough to unsolder and solder it from the outside, and if not, extend the leads sufficiently that you can (making sure to use some heatshrink to insulate the joins). When you do this, DO NOT FORGET TO THREAD THE NUT ONTO THE LEADS!
  • Like 1