Why become a member? ×

Kala ubass snapped Headstock

Olivetti17

Hello all.

I had a nasty surprise over this Xmas break.I had bought a Kala ubass in September from a trusted UK supplier. I had a play on it, the day I bought it home, and all was fine, so I put her in its case, planning to use it for making music at home with some uke friends.I had detuned it a little before doing so. However, when I got it out a few days ago, my bass player friend and I had a quick tune up, and that's when the fun(not) started. Even before reaching it's tuned state, the Headstock decided to part company with the neck, although quite neatly at the nut. I've added pics below, and simply wonder if anyone on here has experienced anything similar. I have seen pics of a Harley Benton with the same fate, although they're in a lower price bracket. I have mailed the supplier and will hopefully get this resolved, although I'll say no to another Kala. Have a look at the pics please, but a luthier contact of mine, seems to think there is a weakness in the wood grain, and with it also being painted (and Chinese) could it have been an accident waiting to happen. Have a great new year everyone anyway.

20231228_165517.jpg

20231228_165501.jpg

20231228_165429.jpg

20231228_165409.jpg

20231228_165328.jpg

20231228_165351.jpg

20231228_165406.jpg

20231228_165427.jpg

It’s a shame but this sort of thing can happen with any mass produced instrument (or object). I had a vintage Telecaster where the truss rod broke (vintage shop value: £5000)

I’m sure it’s covered by a warranty and hopefully it’s sorted soon and you’ll get back to playing!

Just now, Burns-bass said:

It’s a shame but this sort of thing can happen with any mass produced instrument (or object). I had a vintage Telecaster where the truss rod broke (vintage shop value: £5000)

I’m sure it’s covered by a warranty and hopefully it’s sorted soon and you’ll get back to playing!

That's a quick reply thank you, no one lost an eye though, but simply annoying