Why become a member? ×

Mesa D-800 limit led light permanently on

Chimike

Can anyone shed light (sorry ) on my Mesa d-800 limit light being permanently on ?

Amps been fine , 'till suddenly, when I switched on last week , no instrument attached, the limit light came on, amp hums, and controls seem all over the place !

what to do ?

There are quite a few possibilities, but by far the most common cause is the amp falling on its face.

We are in the process of setting up a new service network throughout Europe, including several in the UK. 

The factory is closed for the holidays, but I can contact one of my coworkers to find a service solution for you. 

You can message me and I will get you the info. 

Unbelievable !

What can I say ? "above and beyond the call of duty " comes to mind.

Thank you so much for your positive reply . It's a great relief to know that there are repair possibilities for my Mesa D-800, despite

living in the UK.

I did, in fact, knock my amp off the speaker the previous week , in its carry bag, but thought no more of it !

Again, Thank you,

I will message you, as suggested.

Best Wishes, and Seasons Greetings,

Mike

Edited by Chimike
spelling.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike 

In 2019 I dropped my D800 when it was in the Mesa travel bag and from that point the amp was faulty.
Sent the amp to the service centre (Westside distribution) who sorted the problem but advised that the front controls needed to be protected.
Bought a small flight case and amp still sounds great after a number of gigs.

Regard Robin     

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I did contact Westside, but received a curt reply that Mesa service is now down to Gibson !

Not entirely unreasonable, I suppose, as there have been big changes at MESA, who have been very helpful.

However, as you know, I'm a semi retired engineer, metalwork ( bent facia panel ) no problem for me, and I'm making a jig

so that the replacement pot is accurately located on the pcb . Looks like the master volume pot is 100k ohms , log , taper a bit harder

to identify, but 'bout 25 % . Just gotta find the correct 16mm pot , and I'll hopefully be sorted .

Will get my tech to fit pot , I'm fine with the old leaded solder on my old valve amps , D-800 probably uses lead free !

Using my ( over 40 years old ) A.M.P. BH-420 in the meanwhile. Lovin' it !

Best Wishes, 

Mike.

Solder is lead free. Note that it’s a custom bushing diameter. The correct part is available from the factory. 

I haven’t heard how the follow-up service network will be implemented yet. I will post the information when it becomes available.

Edited by agedhorse