Why become a member? ×

Active PA Cabs, What have you got and are they any good?

Chienmortbb

Thanks - quite a bit to think about. The speakers are TS212s, had them for a long time, they are fundamentally ok but a bit boxy. Nowhere near as bright as the RCF, although I would be surprised if they would be.

The sax stuff is interesting. He has a wireless transmitter bolted to the side of the sax, with a little gooseneck thing that points into the bell - so it is interesting from your video that that isn't where it should be. The transmitter is a senheiser, but it isn't good although not anything to do with the feedback (it clicks a lot).

The mic is a different shure, but at one point he had the same as the drummer and they have swapped a bit, he also used my TC Helicon mic, which sounds fine with me and is unclear. I guess the problem is just him, I have listened to the sound of a multitrack and he just sounds a bit like that.

His mic technique is fine when he isn't trying to hold the mic like a rapper, He is a bit further back than me with teh mic, but not as far as the drummer (another issue with him and the cymbals coming through).

The PA started off flat with bits being taken out for feedback control - it used to be parametric, but now on the main out I used the graphic and just knocked out any bits that were feeding back. 

I think that is probably the main issue, and I was going to get a pink noise generator to check what the response is.

Oh god he isn't using a shure PG58 is he? They really are dull and he'd be better of with a Behringer. 

Lot's of vocal mics have frequency peaks in the kHz regions which brighten and lift the vocals, the result is that some mics suit some people and not others. A vocalist needs to find 'their' mic much more than we need to find 'our' bass or our strings and then cherish it and learn all the mics foibles. You'd never believe that from how casually some of them treat their mic., don't singers suffer from GAS? We were getting some bass feedback last weekend every time the singer moved her mic into a particular spot where there was a resonance/standing wave. It's reall difficult to watch what they all do  at once sometimes. Anyway a change of mic could emphasise different aspects of his voice, whether he is susceptible to talking about it of course is another matter. Maybe it's time to start sharing You Tube videos with the band :)

It does sound like you know what you are doing though, working systematically through the individual problems.

6 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Oh god he isn't using a shure PG58 is he? They really are dull and he'd be better of with a Behringer. 

He does have one now, which improved his voice from the behringer he had. But he as also tried with my mic, the tc helicon one. I was fiddling last night with a multitrack after remembering I had a few and noticed that he needed a boost in the same area (1.5k) that i needed a cut on mine.

It's reall difficult to watch what they all do  at once sometimes. Anyway a change of mic could emphasise different aspects of his voice, whether he is susceptible to talking about it of course is another matter. Maybe it's time to start sharing You Tube videos with the band :)

It does sound like you know what you are doing though, working systematically through the individual problems.

OK BA21 is Yeovil? that's just down the road from Chard so we are easy driving distance. Do you want to come over sometime and have a session comparing gear at mine?

I am sure I went to your house once to pick up speaker componants?

I have been looking and I am thinking that I might get a second Evox 8, because if I got the evox j8mix, I wouldn't need to take my mixer to practice, and I could also put the bass into it meaning I wouldn't need an amp or my speaker. So I could save myself lugging stuff around. Maybe also that way go ampless at gigs too, in which case would save even more hassle.

• Like 1

I did wonder if a second Evox 8 might be the answer since you know you like them anyway. You'll know exactly what you are getting which is always an issue. Depending upon people like us to describe sound is never as good as actually hearing what you are about to buy. I wasn't sure tht this would fit into your £500 budget though. Your TS212's should have some value though and there are used Evox 8's beginning to appear on the used market.

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

I did wonder if a second Evox 8 might be the answer since you know you like them anyway. You'll know exactly what you are getting which is always an issue. Depending upon people like us to describe sound is never as good as actually hearing what you are about to buy. I wasn't sure tht this would fit into your £500 budget though. Your TS212's should have some value though and there are used Evox 8's beginning to appear on the used market.

It wouldn't fit in the budget, but selling the TS212s and if I wasn't bothering with an amp it would be manageable. And these things seem to keep their value (in fact my other one is probably worth more than I paid for it now).

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

(in fact my other one is probably worth more than I paid for it now).

Yeah I've noticed that I had a quick look on Marketplace for the Evox 8, theres a few around but the prices! I'm about to sell on a load of stuff and looking to see what the going rate is, everything has gone up in price in line with the new prices in the shops and maybe a bit more. I almost feel guilty in making a profit on everything but it's all going back out on better gear and that has gone up too so it's really just inflation I suppose. I sold my Wharfedale Titans just over a year ago for £300 and the price now is £450 and upwards for good used ones.

Did you see my post about the RCF ART310 offer at Thomann. Under £300 and rated by RCF at 127db max the same as your Evox 8. I've used mine as backline with no problems and as PA in a lot of Somerset's pubs.

My advice would be to take your time and buy once though, hang out for the speaker of your choice, I made do for years with whatever I could buy cheap, out of necessity at first but habit later on, then I decided to buy what I saw as the 'perfect' system for any band I was likely to play with and waited until things came up at a price I could just stretch to. I bought things one or two pieces at a time and sold most of my old stuff as I went. It took a couple of years to complete the upgrade but I have just what I need, the band sounds better and I didn't waste money on stuff that was OK but needed upgrading later.

Edited by Phil Starr

The Evox I got before for under £500, now there isn't anything south of £700.

I saw about the 310s - sounds like quite a good deal and would probably be good as vocals, but would it be ok with me putting my bass through it and the rest of the band, or would I just end up with more things to carry around?

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The Evox I got before for under £500, now there isn't anything south of £700.

I saw about the 310s - sounds like quite a good deal and would probably be good as vocals, but would it be ok with me putting my bass through it and the rest of the band, or would I just end up with more things to carry around?

With the 310's you'd have two 10's and the Evox uses a 12" sub so you'd expect two Evox to work better at really high volumes, probably more important for the drums than bass. On the other hand the nicest bass sound I've ever had is through my 310's on poles. I can't really say how the other differences would pan out without actually listening to them.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so I managed to solve the problem. If you spend every day looking for a few weeks, in the end you can buy a new B stock RCF Evox J8 for £520, white, non original pole, no speakon or mains plug, a couple of minor scuffs, non original packaging, but no breaks or damage. I can live with the white for that!

• Like 1