Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones C2 for gigging

tinyd

Does anyone have any experience or opinions of using one of these for DB gigs? I play either a regular rockabilly gig but with a quiet-ish drummer, or jazz gigs without a drummer at all. I really like small/light gear so I'm going to pair it with a TC BAM200 head, but I don't want to get one of these if it just can't keep up. For reference, I currently have an (old) GK MB150 that I want to replace with the new rig. The other alternative is to get the TC BC208 cab, which is much bigger. But if I can get away with the C2 then that will make me happy :)

Not going to be loud or have much bass projection.  You probably can push 200W out of it but from such small speakers I doubt it will push much bass very far.  Folks said this about the old 2x 5" briefcase combos ( tho they are only 100W)

I use a 150W pjb flightcase with 4x5" drivers which is ok for rehearsals and tiny pub gigs.  Anything bigger if just doesn't shift enough air. Kind of lacks thump.

I'd go up to the C4 I think.  But if you try the C2, please feed back.

Thanks @NickA - that's kind of what I was thinking too (i.e. 2x5 not pushing enough bass into the room). Thing is, the thing that most bothers me when gigging is that I can't hear myself that well, and the C2 seems like it would do this part pretty well. Plus the acoustic sound of the bass itself is often pretty good for smaller / quieter gigs in terms of bass projection.

I guess the good thing about going for an amp + cab means that I can always get a bigger cab for the gigs where I need it....

• Like 2

Thanks @Paddy Morris - I'll keep an eye out for one of those. If I was going for a new cab, this looks like it might offer more bottom end than the C2 while still being light:

https://www.thomann.de/ie/peavey_trace_elliot_bassbox_110.htm

Thing is, I currently use an old (but working fine) GK MB150 combo which is OK in terms of volume etc but to me it's always sounded a bit "boxy" and as I said above, doesn't give me much clarity. So I'm looking for something that's about as loud as the GK, but with a more "hi fi" sound, plus cheap and light. I'm prepared to concede that this combination may not exist :)

• 4 months later...

A quick update to this thread - I finally took a chance on a C2 cab and a Warwick Gnome head (pretty much the same as the TC BAM 200 but I'd heard marginally better things about it for DB). In terms of volume (at home) it's louder than my GK MB150 and has a much cleaner, more usable tone so I'm pretty sure that it'll be good for gigs too. What I really like as well is that the two are very small and light - about half the weight of the GK, which appeals to my increasing laziness when it comes to lugging gear from the car (it also makes a "one trip" journey viable with the DB even if I have to walk longer distances).

No gigs for a few weeks but I'm looking forward to trying it out....

Edited by tinyd