Why become a member? ×

Home build 1x10 - the Plenty

tauzero

Because Juan Sheet is plenty.

This has come about because I happened to have a Deltalite II 2510 knocking about, and fancied building a tweeterless cab a bit smaller than the BC 112 mk3. I also had lots of 68mm pipe left over from the 6" micro cab build. So I worked out a way of getting a 35l or so cab out of one 1220x610 sheet of 12mm ply. Sides are 445 x 305, front and rear panels are also 445 x 305 with the front panel set back 20mm from flush, top and bottom are 330 x 305, all of which dimensions are subject to a bit of tweaking as there's going to be a bit of surplus round the edges due in part to the accuracy of the B&Q saw.

Not much to show so far, I'll be making holes tomorrow if the weather permits me to go into the shed without drowning.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while. I've got part of a box assembled, going to drill the front panel for t-nuts, cut some drainpipe to length (when I've established the final internal volume), and then finish assembly.

Lessons to take on board (I don't think I'll be doing another one of these though):

• Don't get B&Q to do the cutting. I'm sure I could have done the cutting more accurately myself.
  • Make the speaker cutout only as wide as is needed - don't rely on the specs for that, measure it.
  • Get smaller battens.
  • Make right angles 90 degrees. 88 degrees is not a right angle.
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I am making progress in my own steady way. Today wasn't the ideal day to be outside cutting 22cm lengths of pipe for the ports.

As the cutout for the speaker was a bit big and so the fixing holes were precariously close to the edge, I glued in some short lengths of reinforcement and then drilled for T-nuts. Remembering what had happened with the BC 112, I checked that all the T-nuts threaded up, then put them in place and tightened with the speaker in place so that if any finished up slightly skewiff they'd still go in.

Still to do - put in wadding (on its way), glue in ports, put top on, round corners off, filling and sanding, and covering - I have a good-sized piece of leatherette left over from the BC micro cab which I'll use for that. Plus cut grille to size, put connector panel in, wire up speaker and put that in.

Reinforcements and T-nuts placed ready for initial tightening:

Frontpanelrear.thumb.jpg.2b08a40c91cdf1aaa77f81e8a4222159.jpg

Box with bottom attached:

Boxwithbottom.thumb.jpg.16a81493bf43ad20f2c7e407d22100ca.jpg

Inside view:

Insideview.thumb.jpg.7cd2e516a4bf9f0bb380eef6f1177be2.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2024 at 15:48, tauzero said:

I am making progress in my own steady way. Today wasn't the ideal day to be outside cutting 22cm lengths of pipe for the ports.

As the cutout for the speaker was a bit big and so the fixing holes were precariously close to the edge, I glued in some short lengths of reinforcement and then drilled for T-nuts. Remembering what had happened with the BC 112, I checked that all the T-nuts threaded up, then put them in place and tightened with the speaker in place so that if any finished up slightly skewiff they'd still go in.

Still to do - put in wadding (on its way), glue in ports, put top on, round corners off, filling and sanding, and covering - I have a good-sized piece of leatherette left over from the BC micro cab which I'll use for that. Plus cut grille to size, put connector panel in, wire up speaker and put that in.

Reinforcements and T-nuts placed ready for initial tightening:

Frontpanelrear.thumb.jpg.2b08a40c91cdf1aaa77f81e8a4222159.jpg

Box with bottom attached:

Boxwithbottom.thumb.jpg.16a81493bf43ad20f2c7e407d22100ca.jpg

Inside view:

Insideview.thumb.jpg.7cd2e516a4bf9f0bb380eef6f1177be2.jpg

Good work.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nearly done now - would have been there but for my cordless drill running out of amp-hours and no charger or spare battery to be found.

Almostdonefront.thumb.jpg.24c176d9e0b039104fde73232cc217fd.jpg

Almostdonerear.thumb.jpg.626fd33bc69b3543e3e93e48bf3631c2.jpg

I only got four cab corners on and one screw in the connector panel (it's the wrong screw but I've found the right ones, so they'll be going in shortly), and I need to get a handle and some cab feet (they're on the way). The grille may be of interest - it came from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362491694497. Slightly untidy but hopefully functional - I want to leave testing until I've got the connector panel properly screwed on.

• Like 4