Why become a member? ×

Peavey RSB 94' wiring diagram

luisfpr

Hi there
I've got an used RSB bass and I love it, serial 06513923, 2 active pickups, 1 vol, 1 bal, 1 tone, but the tone pot doesn't work. I supose the previous owner modified the factory wiring, and I can't find an appropiate diagram in order to restore the original wiring.
So, what can I do to find a correct wiring diagram? Actually, I use the amp tone pots or the pedal board to get the appropiate tone for each moment, but I really need to set the bass to factory wiring.
Any idea to help me?
Thanks a lot from Spain.
Luis

1699786196046.jpg

1699786196055.jpg

1699786196062.jpg

1699786196027.jpg

1699786196035.jpg

1699786196020.jpg

Hi Luis, there doesn't seem to be much information about the electronics in these bases at all. It appears they have a passive tone control, same as Fender Precision or Jazz, so replacing the potentiometer and capacitor is an easy fix.

Could you take a picture of the whole of the control cavity so we can see exactly what is in there.

Edited by BassBunny

Hi there. There goes the pics. I've made some mods, with no results. Vol and tone pots are Alpha 25K, now, with a capacitor 0.1 uF. The wires now are: from blend pot to vol pot. From vol pot to tone pot. From tone pot to jack. The tone pot still doesn't work. Blend and vol works properly. There is a kill switch to save battery when the cable is plugged, very useful during the discussions in the rehersals session.

Kind regards

IMG_20231120_160036.jpg

IMG_20231120_160024.jpg

IMG_20231120_160009.jpg

On 12/11/2023 at 10:52, luisfpr said:

Hi there
I've got an used RSB bass ...

2 active pickups, 1 vol, 1 bal, 1 tone, but the tone pot doesn't work...

I can't find an appropiate diagram in order to restore the original wiring...
So, what can I do to find a correct wiring diagram? Actually, I use the amp tone pots or the pedal board to get the appropiate tone for each moment, but I really need to set the bass to factory wiring.
Any idea to help me?

hi

you may be looking for something similar to this:

2×active pickups, VVT, 3-way selecting P1, P2 or both, stereo jack switching power on/off

2xActivePickupsVVT-3way.thumb.jpg.411ca7c13b8870e0f4068bbfbf9e94e9.jpg

If you're certain that your bass was originally Vol, Bal, Tone you should be able to adapt this circuit (ie. change 1 Vol into a Bal)

Use a wire-colour scheme which is different to the pickup wire colours, to avoid confusion (for you and 'helpers') when trying to decode the wiring

If you added the (non-standard) 'kill-switch', then you have a choice: remove it, change it into the pickup selector shown here, or leave it as an extra power switch. Your call

NB. If your wiring cavities are fully shielded (and grounded) just use the relevant pot (& jack shield) lugs as ground connections - soldering the pot cases just wastes solder, increases probability of dry joints and can cause heat damage to those soldered parts

good luck

Thanks for your info.

I've got some news!

The tone pot seems work, but not all amps can detect!

So, Maybe the orange drop capacitor 0.1 uF appears to be wrong choice?

Another capacitor value could be better?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Luis

• Like 1

Hi Luis, that's a step in the right direction. I was completely confused by Peavey's description of the bass being "active but with a passive tone control". 

So it's actually just "active" pickups, the rest is just standard passive controls.

Changing the capacitor will just make a difference in how much treble cut the control has. It's a bit confusing calling it a tone control as there is no "cut and boost", just treble cut, or it's becomes more bassy. A 0.1 uF capacitor will cut more treble than a 0.047.

I think the pot might be the issue. Is it a log or linear pot?

2 hours ago, luisfpr said:

As I read before:  "active but with a passive tone control".

Peavey did a few.

Along with the RSB there was the B-Ninety, came as a standard passive PJ or active pickups with normal vol/tone pots; Foundation-S active followed the same pattern.

Those 2 were fairly low key efforts.

If I can unearth my RSB I'll check what pot/cap values were stock from the factory.

9 hours ago, luisfpr said:

'unearth'?

Sounds really bad......

Sorry for your lost...

Wasn't too bad.

Bottom case in the middle of 3 piles, stacked 9 high.  Of course those piles were hidden behind 20 basses in gigbags 🙁

Anyone who says you can never have too many basses has never shared a house with 70+ of the damn things 🤣

Sorry to report my efforts were in vain, the pots had no resistance markings on them and the solder monkey at Peavey chose to cover the Alpha product code for his ground points 🤬

All I could get was the factory cap was 0.1 and the pots came from the R 13 series.

Looking through my records I see Peavey used 250k pots for both Vol and Tone on everything without a preamp, that 0.1 cap value was also used the the active B-90 and Foundation S models.