Why become a member? ×

Where can I buy GHS Pressurewound Bronze in UK?

maxr

I'm after a 4 string set of GHS Pressurewound Bronze for my fretted acoustic Warwick Alien in UK I strung it with the OE Warwick Red roundwounds. They work OK for such inexpensive strings, except the usual roundwound problem on this acoustic - string noise. Trouble is, I can't find the Bronze version of GHS Pressurewounds for sale in UK. Any ideas, or do the nickel version of these strings work OK on an acoustic bass? Thanks, Max

104 HAGLEY ROAD
EDGBASTON, BIRMINGHAM B16 8LT
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

P: 0121 456 1904

[email protected]

These people appear to be the distributors in England, but judging by the lack of obvious stock they're not doing a good job. Anyway, worth a call to find out the situation. If they can't do the job, then strinsdirect.co.uk  can usually be relied up to come up trumps, but it may take some time.

Thanks guys - it's odd that guitarguitar look like GHS distributors, but they don't appear to list GHS bass strings on their website. The new highly praised (on the forums) Aquila Flat Spirals aren't yet available in 32" scale. GHS nickel/iron Pressurewounds are available, but I'm not sure how they'd work on an acoustic (anyone tried them?). One review of the Elixir bronzes says 'not as squeak free as I thought they'd be - drat. The Alien is quite loud and bassy for an acoustic, but even then the squeakery is my only issue with the Warwick Reds.

The Warwick Alien has a big body, and some like mine have a ply top. It's quite bassy for an acoustic, to the extent that the fretted sound is fine, it's just sqeaky when you shift. It came used with tapewounds, and by comparison with round PBs they sounded really dead and quiet acoustically. Maybe I'll just try the iron alloy GHS Pressurewounds and see how they work.