Why become a member? ×

Pictures of my J Classic 4

SpinalTap

I asked him what the secret to his basses was and his reply was that he just makes sure he selects the right wood. And the criteria was based on his experience of what works and what doesn't. I can't think of a way in which a craftsman can become closer to their creation than by choosing their materials carefully. Its also what makes aspects of japanese and chinese design so fascinating for me as well.

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='484183' date='May 10 2009, 09:45 AM']Exactly. Chris told me once he never used swamp-ash beceause the wood is so soft, and it just destroys the tone.
His basses with ash body's are just to heavy for me, so I prefer the ones with Alder. Great tone, and not to heavy.[/quote]
As I hinted at in the public thread, Chris has been working on something that will address that weight issue.

The orange bass on the wall in this photo was the lightest bass I've ever picked up. I'm guessing it might have weighed something like 4-5kg even though it didn't have any hardware fitted.

If Chris fitted titanium hardware onto it (light but strong) it would be truly standard setting and probably a god send to anyone with back problems.

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='490881' date='May 17 2009, 09:25 PM']4-5kg isn't that light. I had a Sadowsky once that was around 3,5 kg.
Or do you mean 4-5 pounds, or lbs?[/quote]
Hmmm, maybe I do. I have to confess that I can't visualise weight very well.