Why become a member? ×

La Bella white tapewounds - flabby low B

pn_day

Dear all,

I've previously tried both the white tape wound and the 'copper white' tape wounds from La Bella. I liked them both for E-G strings (much more top end than black tape wounds or flat wounds), but found that both sets had a very flabby B-string. This is for a 5 string fretless bass (Clement), as I like the increased presence the strings give. It looks like La Bella only do a 135 thick B string in these tape wounds.

https://www.labella.com/strings/category/white-nylon-tape-bass

https://www.labella.com/strings/category/copper-white-nylon-tape

When I say it is flabby - I actually mean it is very low tension, and when used with an accurate tuner you can see that the pitch is all over the place before it eventually starts to settle down. Even when playing with a very gentle touch, the pitch varies. I've already made sure the break angles are sufficient and pre-formed the string bends over the bridge saddle and nut (witness points I think some people call this).

I'm even considering having a mismatched set of strings (such as a black tape wound on the low B, or even worse, a flat wound string on the low B). Apart from looking 'wrong' I'm somewhat concerned that the feel of the bass will be a bit weird having a different type of string on the low B.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what I could try?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Phil

Hello Phil

You're right, there is no other choice of gauge for the low B.

I've used La Bella white nylon 5 string sets for years and never felt the low B was particularly flabby.  However,  I have also had issues with intonation on the low B in some sets, but as long as it's stable up to the fifth fret E I haven't worried about it.

Not sure that helps tbh, but you're not alone :)

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by franzbassist