Why become a member? ×

Power amp dual channel - 1 channel duff

fleabag

My W Audio  XTR 1000 has developed a duff channel.   The other cahnnel is fine, so we can rule out the speakon cable.

It powers up fine.  The power on blue light + both red channel lights appear on powering up, then both red channel lights go out ,  signalling amp is ready

But only getting power from 1 channel.   As we look down on the photo, the right channel is the working channel, left is the duff one with speakon connected.

Anything i can check, assuming i'm  an idiot ?  Thanks.  I know photos are barely helpful, but just in case ..

AMP1.thumb.jpg.ab2ab22b18590c494bc9d708547166bc.jpg

AMP2.thumb.jpg.f3adc869ad7ea60a107215d00a1792ef.jpg

AMP3.thumb.jpg.f2c553134f86743ad8784739ccb4dddc.jpg

Edited by fleabag

L in, L out, or is this a mono amp (1 in, 2 out)?

Always check fuses with a DMM, although they may look good.

Input and output jacks seem to have switches that may be corroded. Switch the amp off and remove the cable. Take a small screwdriver and move the switches (metal stripes of the jacks) back and forth. If you have deoxit or similar, apply some.

• Like 1

Its stereo  ( not bridgeable  )  2 x 500 watt  @ 4 ohms  or  2 x 350 watt  @  8 ohms

amprear.thumb.jpg.f9e4efdf833d76c33100750a84b1104b.jpg

It has 2 fuses inside, marked on photo , and they both seem fine.  I'll  take your advice on the jacks and try some DeOxit.  They cant be removed due to having to completely dismantle that top circuit board

fuses.thumb.jpg.416b94b72c47f8dae27a14e2204e4cbc.jpg

Edited by fleabag

You could try swapping those orange and white wires - if they are on plug-in connectors - 'LCH IN' and 'RCH IN'. If the fault swaps channel, then there's nothing wrong with the output board

If nothing is looking burnt or over-heated, then its pretty much into voltmeter and test set territory I think.  

If I was going to guess, I'd say that one of the IC's under that big heat sink has just expired

• Like 2

Do you mean the orange wires on white plugs as marked ?   They're labelled CN 1 and CN 2  so i presume you meant these 2

I dont  see orange and white together.

wires.thumb.jpg.131b57b1ef0c38bb12ed4d6d2cd1b720.jpg

I'll try the swap  and see if it changes the fault.  

Yup, nothing burnt from looking inside, not that i can see anyways.

Is it possible to remove the heatsink and have access to the IC's ? 

Edited by fleabag

No.

If you look on the board behind the speakon connector for the left channel, towards the edge, there is an orange cable (probably screened) going to a connector marked LCH IN

A bit further along, behind the speakon connector for the right channel is a white cable going to a connector marked RCH IN

If the fault is on the amplifier board then swapping those two will swap the fault.  If the fault is on the output board then the non-working channel will stay as it is.

• Like 1

Ok Sub,  i did the swap.  Jeeeeeeez i had to use pliers and brace the board as i pulled up. They were frigging tight.

Got nothing.  Switched the cables back, and got my one working channel back.  The same one that was working before, that is.

Edited by fleabag

Ok, at this point you either enjoy the one channel or pass it over to someone who can take it apart!

Since the protection lights aren't showing, there is almost certainly quite a major fault on the main amplifier board of the non-working channel, but its buried under that huge heatsink, so next step would be to take that heatsink off and check how things are looking underneath.

Beyond that - don't know.

Sorry!

Already had the sink out before i started the thread.  It's right royal pain, i'll tell ya. 

I didnt see anything untoward, so i guess as it's a home amp only,  i'll live with one channel.     Facking ebay sellers are nothing but criminals  :)

• Sad 1