Why become a member? ×

75 RI neck on 62 RI Body????

bubinga5

Though i may get more replies here....

This may be sacrlidge, but im thinking about (temporarily) swapping the neck from my 75 RI to the 62 RI...Im loving the Customshop pickups on the 62, but love the neck and FB on the 75..

My Q is, will the neck pocket fit..Also how will this affect the sound..the 62 being Rosewood and very trebbly.. and the 75 being maple...If the holes do not line up or(seeing as the 75 only has three holes) will i have to drill a pilot hole for the forth screw?
Anything else to watch out for??

Thanks..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='482849' date='May 8 2009, 12:13 PM']Though i may get more replies here....

This may be sacrlidge, but im thinking about (temporarily) swapping the neck from my 75 RI to the 62 RI...Im loving the Customshop pickups on the 62, but love the neck and FB on the 75..

My Q is, will the neck pocket fit..Also how will this affect the sound..the 62 being Rosewood and very trebbly.. and the 75 being maple...If the holes do not line up or(seeing as the 75 only has three holes) will i have to drill a pilot hole for the forth screw?
Anything else to watch out for??

Thanks..[/quote]

I think it will fit the neck socket, but the three bolt v four bolt issue would mean that drilling was needed.

It should fit the neck socket ok - these things seem to be standard across the Fender range.

Fitting a 3-bolt neck to a 4-bolt pocket will require you to drill 2 additional holes in the neck, as the 3rd hold for the neck will be in between where the 2 new ones need to be.

The best way to do this would be to install the neck loosely using the 2 screws that fit, then push a bradawl through the other 2 holes in the body to mark on the neck where the new holes need to be. Remove the neck then check that these holes are not going to cause any problems with their location.

If everything is ok drill pilot holes (being very careful with the drill depth). A bench press drill would be best to ensure a perfectly straight hole. Use the existing holes as a guide to what diameter they should be and how deep they should be.