Why become a member? ×

Filming myself Playing Bass.

Mickyk

Hi all,i am looking at starting to film myself playing Bass on Youtube Tracks or the like.Mainly to identify my playing techniques and hopefully trying to Iron out my bad habits and mistakes.

I have a Scarlett 212 mk3 already which i have used mainly to play through with my headphones to Youtube Tracks so that's covered i suppose .

How do other people do this? ,any inputs to a recording newbie would be great thanks all. 

Edited by Mickyk

• Mickyk changed the title to Filming myself Playing Bass.
  • 3 weeks later...

You already have the stuff that's needed (audio interface, bass, cable, camera, computer, electricity), so what is your specific question? I'm happy to answer them, just give me a bit more 😁

I guess you need some video recording/editing software. Reaper is supposed to do this on some level but I never tried it for video. Depending on your skill, maybe get something simple. I started with Filmora, pretty decent and EASY for simple stuff and not expensive, but nowhere near what a proper editing tool can do though. You should not need any of that just for the purpose of filming yourself tho.

Then you just... start recording both audio and video. Do some loud slaps and thumps at the beginning, so you can sync audio and video together using these peaks. Filmora can actually automatically do this for you, but it's not that hard to manually match a slap sound to the frame where it happens.

This is the first video I ever recorded, cut, mixed and edited. It's a bit lame I know, but I was trying out a lot of stuff I would not normally use all in one video.

Edited by BabyBlueSound
  • Like 1

Great thank you for posting,some good info here.I have just purchased this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08VR8YCYT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details,hopefully this will do the business ,just not sure what programme to use it with.I have just downloaded the Reaper DAW. I could do with a step by step video of how to do this as i'm not that techy .

1 hour ago, Mickyk said:

Great thank you for posting,some good info here.I have just purchased this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08VR8YCYT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details,hopefully this will do the business ,just not sure what programme to use it with.I have just downloaded the Reaper DAW. I could do with a step by step video of how to do this as i'm not that techy .

The camera you've bought can only create video directly to a computer; it has no means, itself, of stocking a video file (no memory card or the like...). This precludes Reaper for recording video, as this is not (yet...) available as an option. You will need software to record from the webcam; I use, and can recommend, 'Shotcut' for recording and editing my video, adding audio if necessary. Shotcut is free, and does all you'll need for your videos. It can be downloaded here ...

Shotcut ...

... with tutorials, here ...

Shotcut tutorials...

As with all stuff of the sort, there is some learning involved. It's easy enough to do easy things, and there is help available if you get stuck. Have a look and see if it fits your needs; hope this helps. :rWNVV2D:

Douglas

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The camera you've bought can only create video directly to a computer; it has no means, itself, of stocking a video file (no memory card or the like...). This precludes Reaper for recording video, as this is not (yet...) available as an option. You will need software to record from the webcam; I use, and can recommend, 'Shotcut' for recording and editing my video, adding audio if necessary. Shotcut is free, and does all you'll need for your videos. It can be downloaded here ...

Shotcut ...

... with tutorials, here ...

Shotcut tutorials...

As with all stuff of the sort, there is some learning involved. It's easy enough to do easy things, and there is help available if you get stuck. Have a look and see if it fits your needs; hope this helps. :rWNVV2D:

Douglas

Thank you i will have a Look.

• Thanks 1