Why become a member? ×

Slapping with the ringfinger?

barend

I slap with all four fingers (thumb, index, middle and ring fingers). This greatly enhances the possibilities of slapping. You can slap four string chords, or multiple string dead notes and much more this way. And you can also use it for big string skips like in the video below. Anyone here using the ring finger for slapping? Not sure if you can embed videos here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GzV_j-0Ibk&ab_channel=NextLevelSlapBass

Edited by barend

Well, that would be pop and not slap.

The way I "pluck" the strings is in a slight inwards slapping motion with the outmost tip of my index and middle finger/nail, more so really stoking, rather than striking the strings, so not really an aggressive actual slap, but does slightly emphasis the attack of the notes and gives some of that same metallic flavor and clarity of actual slap. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 03/10/2023 at 11:31, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, that would be pop and not slap.

Yes I mean popping with the ring finger. But I meant including the ring finger in your slap playing. I slap/pop with all four fingers (ring, middle, index and thumb). It greatly enhances your slap grooves and options. 

Edited by barend

On 03/10/2023 at 12:13, barend said:

Yes I mean popping with the ring finger. But I meant including the ring finger in your slap playing. I slap/pop with all four fingers (ring, middle, index and thumb). It greatly enhances your slap grooves and options. 

Wow..lm struggling to slap just with my thumb never mind the other 4 fingers!