Why become a member? ×

Reliced basses - what's the attraction?

Twigman

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='482008' date='May 7 2009, 02:17 PM']Not even back in the 80's?

I had some stone-wash Fred Flinstone jeans.[/quote]

Oh dear.

Were you that bratty kid who kept trying to put his hand up my skirt on the way to school?! :)

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='482470' date='May 7 2009, 09:26 PM']Is there a word for that sickening feeling you get the first time u prang a (so far) pristine bass? And do you still get it if you have a pre-relic'd bass.

BB[/quote]

yep, there's two words in fact - f***ing bollocks!

[quote name='maxrossell' post='481932' date='May 7 2009, 01:26 PM']If I were being completely picky though, I would say one thing:

Good relics feel different from new instruments. Most [b][size=3]instrumentists[/size] [/b]would agree that older instruments have a "played-in" feel that new instruments don't, and a good relic will have something close to that kind of feel. The Fender roadworn tele, for instance, I tried it out and it had an "old friend" feel to it that the new US tele didn't.

I still wouldn't own one, but that's worth considering.[/quote]Is that like luthiers that can also do yer teeth? :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of fake relicing.
The thing about genuinely hard used guitars is that they used to be associated with hard working and ultimately very good musicians. I caught a re-run of Jools last night and Dave Gilmour was playing a seriously beat up Tele. Now, I don't care if he wore it out himself or bought it because he's earned the right to play it - and everyone knows it. But some people want to give the impression they've earned the same right, when they haven't, so they go out and buy that right. I think the difference is whether or not you are trying to pass it off as your own. At the end of the day fake is fake.

Also, a mint bass is worth more than a totally reliced bass which is worth more than the same bass with a few chips or scratches. What's that all about? :)

apologies if I'm rambling - got a migraine.