Why become a member? ×

FoH point source PA (KV2)

BCH

We have gigged these new (to us) cabs for 2 months. 2 theatres, outside 500 crowd, club, village hall etc.

It's no exaggeration to say it has improved our sound quality, clarity, seperation, fill (width & depth) to the point many of the audience commented inc musicians. Our sound eng' loves them.

We have replaced 2 subs, 2x 12"+h & 2x 10"+h tops with KV2 EX 15 - 3 way active cabs (>40kg each)

https://www.kv2audio.com/products/ex-series/ex15.html

Watch the founder explain point source...there are many video's which have given me a better understanding of live sound for small bands...our biggest concern was bass & drums because the speaker layout is upside down (15" on top mid is co-ax & the horn is @ the bottom with 3 individual analog amps) but the bass response is huge.

I have no connection to KV2 they were recommended by respected guitarist sound guy...just wanted to share!!!! 

Some point sources work well enough, in small settings for the most part they're perfectly OK. But they don't compete with lines when using more than two cabs per side. (BTW, 99.9% of the time when you see point source cabs arrayed it's side by side, which actually reduces the horizontal dispersion. They should stacked vertically, the top cab upside down, which places the high frequency elements as close as possible in what's known as an M-T-T-M).

The explanation given in the video why lines are problematic is totally incorrect. The sound from the individual elements in the line do not arrive at the listening positions at different times as individual wave fronts. With correct spacing the wave fronts from each element all integrate into a single coherent wavefront. If that wasn't the case line sources would have not almost completely take over the high end PA market.  https://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

• Like 3

Some context, most of BC's who are providing the portable PA for the band are small gigs >350 audience. Anything more its the house PA or hire

I noticed many theaters are using complete systems from KV2

For us and the audience,  the result was exceptional...As I mentioned I've user RCF TT's, also EV, Bose, L Acoustic (what a faf ) Martin and many awful brands...all with a sound eng...non sounded as good as the KV2's

We are very pleased....have you tried them?

Love to hear from bands that have had used them live.

I didn't say that they don't sound good. My only issue was with the false information put forth on the video, the intent of which is obviously to disparage what he doesn't sell in favor of what he does. I get it, that's what advertising does. But BC's should be aware that's what it is, advertising, not a technical document. BTW, even short line arrays have a distinct advantage over point sources in smaller rooms. They have tighter vertical dispersion, which puts more sound to the audience and less at the ceiling and floor.

• Like 5

Yes I agree beware of the Mkt BS.

But what was impressive, I gave all our requirements & kit used & venues & audience sizes & asked them to select suitable FoH cab's. They selected and offered to bring a them to our next gig (4 days notice) to do a A/B test under the supervision of our sound eng & a couple of guitarist & singers from that I know from other local bands, no deposit or commitment. The venue is was a hard test, it took us a couple of gigs with our old kit to get a good sound. So we sound checked & rehearsed and were very happy will our sound.

Un plugged our 6 Foh cabs & plugged in the 2x  KV2's instant noticeable improvement, once the sound guy optimized the EQ (less) & mix vol (less) we had a great sound that was clear dynamic and even every where in the venue. All the band a guests were blown away...yes we transferred the money and put our old kit in the van. Interestingly we were advised to improve our speaker cables..7 gigs later we have learnt how to get the most out of the cabs.

But all credit to the UK team @ KV2 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately most small venue systems share the same basic design flaw, they place the mains above the subs. That prevents you from placing them properly, which is with the subs clustered and wall loaded. That costs low frequency sensitivity and results in low frequency power alley. Not that point source mains placed above subs are any better in that regard. 😒