Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Preamp in a Stingray Special

Findo

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2nd Hand Stingray BFR in the new 5 bolt neck and 18v preamp.

Someone has installed a Darkglass Tome Capsule in it, I’m normally a fan of Darkglass tones, but this bass just does not sound good, I’m really struggling for a useable tone.

Luckily the original preamp was included in the sale, so I’m thinking of reinstalling that.

but first, has anyone had any joy with this set up? Is there something in that 18v set up I am missing?

I don’t think a Stingray needs 2x mid controls really, plus when I A/B it with my 2002 Stingray there is no contest.

11 hours ago, Doctor J said:

What have you got to lose by installing the original setup and finding out whether or not it works for you?

Absolutely nothing, just didn’t want to miss a trick with the Darkglass seeing as that is what is currently installed.

I have owned a few Stingrays over the years and they always sound great and always have their own sound, DarkGlass is a company with a great reputation, so it’s just a little odd the noise coming out of it sounds so awful. I’m not exaggerating, genuinely awful.

22 hours ago, Findo said:

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2nd Hand Stingray BFR in the new 5 bolt neck and 18v preamp.

Someone has installed a Darkglass Tome Capsule in it, I’m normally a fan of Darkglass tones, but this bass just does not sound good, I’m really struggling for a useable tone.

Luckily the original preamp was included in the sale, so I’m thinking of reinstalling that.

but first, has anyone had any joy with this set up? Is there something in that 18v set up I am missing?

I don’t think a Stingray needs 2x mid controls really, plus when I A/B it with my 2002 Stingray there is no contest.

Hi

What voltage are you using for the DTC? 

You mention "has anyone had any joy with this set up? Is there something in that 18v set up I am missing?", but on the Darkglass Tone Capsule site, all I see is a single 9V battery. 

If you do happen to be using 18V, and it only expects 9V, could this be the problem?

...just an idea

Edited by sandy_r

13 hours ago, sandy_r said:

Hi

What voltage are you using for the DTC? 

You mention "has anyone had any joy with this set up? Is there something in that 18v set up I am missing?", but on the Darkglass Tone Capsule site, all I see is a single 9V battery. 

If you do happen to be using 18V, and it only expects 9V, could this be the problem?

...just an idea

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however it says on the website it operates at 9v-18v.

3 hours ago, Findo said:

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however it says on the website it operates at 9v-18v.

...strange - there's no mention of that in the DTC manual (the Tone Capsule Wiring section just shows a single 9V battery setup)

does it make the same 'noise' if you only use 9V?

DTC-Manual-Wiring.png.fb4855d016370efa49596849600fbf07.png

Edited by sandy_r