Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB728 Voltage Conversion (100V to 240V)

The Funk

On 31/08/2023 at 18:43, The Funk said:

It seems the potentially lethal stuff is hidden away underneath this top layer, for relatively quick and safe valve changes.IMG_1473.thumb.jpeg.1e6fd08082ed097e986dd1d9d8a7cb5d.jpeg

Judging by all that iron, that must be well over 50lbs/23Kgs. Good luck with that, but as mentioned by others, if the mains transformer is as suggested, then it should be a simple thing for a tech to rewire. Remember to be sure to lower the fuse rating if going from 110 to 240. Just over half would be my recommendation and use the same type of fuse as there may be a big inrush current before the transformers settle down. If in doubt, post a picture on here with the writing on the fuse can clearly seen. Good Luck.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi @The Funk did you end up finding a solution to changing the voltage for your amp? I'm in the exact same situation - bought a new DB751 (from Swee Lee no less), but turns out it's rated for 120v. Any help or direction will be much appreciated :)

Post a picture of the back panel please. I went through the manual on Aguilar's site but could find no mention of changing the mains voltage. It might be that this is accomplished by changing out the power transformer. If this is true you might have to resort to using an outboard 240V to 120V transformer.

Edited by BassmanPaul

9 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Post a picture of the back panel please. I went through the manual on Aguilar's site but could find no mention of changing the mains voltage. It might be that this is accomplished by changing out the power transformer. If this is true you might have to resort to using an outboard 240V to 120V transformer.

Hi @BassmanPaul - here is a pic of the AC portion of the back panel. Seems like it's possible change the fuse and swap out some internal wiring. Similar to the original poster, I've had a 120v DB659 previously that I emailed Aguilar and they gave clear instructions how to change. Even sent me a link of where to purchase the different fuse. 

Those were the good old days when someone from Aguilar actually looks at support emails. Unfortunately I emailed Korg (the support email on the Aguilar website) but havent heard back (yet).

Any input or help would be most welcome. :)

IMG_1354.jpeg

Without seeing the power transformer, there’s no way to know. They MAY use a different transformer in the European builds. Just because the chassis can be marked 230/240V doesn’t automatically mean that it has a universal primary transformer.

• Like 1

I see Swee Lee is a company in Singapore.  Sorry I've not heard about them before. The moral of the story is that when ever buying from abroad you should specify what voltage you want to operate the unit on. there again Singapore operates on 230V 50Hz close enough to the UK standard.  Did you try contacting the company to see if they can do anything for you?

I took a look at our Amazon here in Canada. They had a suitable transformer for under $100. I couldn't find a UK version of Amazon and the .eu site didn't seem to be navigable. Maybe they work adifferently over there. 

To finish off my story, I got the conversion done by a reputable audio electronics shop in Singapore called Well Audio Labs.

Swee Lee is the authorised repairer / service centre for Aguilar in Singapore and they contacted Korg for a copy of the schematic which they passed on to my tech. Swee Lee told me that they also could have done the job.

It was a relatively simple job for a professional but not a suitable task for an amateur like me. I think it involves swapping over a few wires on the power transformer and changing a fuse or two.

In hindsight, I think Korg were trying to prevent me from harming myself or the power amp. It is a great power amp, which is designed for voltage conversion to be done safely by a professional, and customer service at Korg still works after the acquisition of Aguilar.

If you are looking for one of these on the secondhand market, don’t be put off if it would require voltage conversion. Aguilar thought of that when they designed them.

• Like 1

Just CONFIRM that any amp you might be looking at that requires a conversion actually has a universal primary transformer. This is not always the case, and some amps may be shipped with a region specific transformer even though others of the same model may not. I see this a lot.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2024 at 03:41, agedhorse said:

Just CONFIRM that any amp you might be looking at that requires a conversion actually has a universal primary transformer. This is not always the case, and some amps may be shipped with a region specific transformer even though others of the same model may not. I see this a lot.

Good advice. I have heard - perhaps from you earlier but also from the tech who worked on my amp - that products for the Japanese market are designed to prevent voltage conversion. I was lucky that my one, which I purchased from Japan, turned out OK.

• Like 1