Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SCP-OCT Sub Blaster

RaNoFuNkY

Hi All,

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-SCPOCT-SubBlaster-Bass-Octave-Pedal?sku=153601"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Amp...edal?sku=153601[/url]

Anyone own/played one of these? I need an octaver and I'm only looking for a 1 octave down. Would be for single note use, dub/reggae and for some synthy fuzz juiciness. At the risk of sounding horrendously cosmetic.....it looks beautiful!! There are some sounds on this link too.

Any info would be good.

Ta

B

Having done quite a bunch of Reggaeshows as soundengineer I found the dbx120 to be pretty useful for getting the fattest lowend. It´s 19" though and has no distinctive sound, it only adds one octave below. If you think of an audible effect you could give the EBS Octabass a try. It tracks much better than a Boss OC2.
Another option is to get a 19" Effect which is doing good pitch shifting. Used Eventide H3000 or Eclipse comes to mind.

[quote name='jensenmann' post='480511' date='May 5 2009, 11:12 PM']you could give the EBS Octabass a try. It tracks much better than a Boss OC2.[/quote]

In my experience they track about as well as eachother. Actually all the analogue sub-octave generators I've used had practically identical tracking performance.

I'd say the EBS is only worth the extra dough if you prefer its sound. I didn't.

As for the Ampeg pedal, I've only ever heard it with guitar through it, and I can't remember whether you can solo the synthesised note or whether it always blends in your original guitar note. Might be worth a punt anyway, they certainly do look cool I'll agree with you on that. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='480590' date='May 6 2009, 12:54 AM']As for the Ampeg pedal, I've only ever heard it with guitar through it, and I can't remember whether you can solo the synthesised note or whether it always blends in your original guitar note. Might be worth a punt anyway, they certainly do look cool I'll agree with you on that. :)[/quote]

Basically it has a "direct" dial and an "octave" dial. With direct up and octave down, you just hear your own sound (but it's not bypassed). With direct down and octave up, you only hear the octave down from the pedal. You can blend accordingly.

I hear they're great, but I wouldn't have a clue where to find one apart from on eBay.

cheers lads, some informative responses

and yup - spotted the one on ebay but I there's no way I can currently afford it. Just struck by the looks! Plus I managed to see the Wailers play recently, and fancy turning my hand to some dub/reggae.

If anyone has any further experience with the tracking then I'd love to hear it

B

• 4 years later...