Why become a member? ×

Analogue synths for sale

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Jen SX 1000 - £190

Kawai (also labelled as teisco) F100 - £350

Close offers accpeted. Cash and buyer collects.

Pics and demo videos to come.

The Jen is a work horse. Great single oscillator mono synth.
Used to be my main gig synth.

The Kawai is very special indeed. Rare in the UK and a beast in terms of bass output. It has CV in and a line in too.
It has unusual circuit routing which enables one to get some amazing sounds, but also to get in trouble too (Ie routing pitch through the filter so it changes the tuning) so I wouldn't regard it as a live use machine: couple it with a sampling program.

I'm selling them as I've left the bands I used them in and don't use them for my own stuff now as I only make acoustic music, but I want my babies to go to a good home.

Both synths date form the early 80s and are in excellent condition.

As stated full details to come with demo videos on youtube.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by Jecklin

Please pardon my ignorance... do they make those whooshing wobble wobble wobble noises.. and wop wop wop noises, up and down the scale, getting faster and slower?

Sorry I don't know the technical term for that, but I seen synth players make them noises by holding down a key and twiddling knobs.

Would be interested if they do.

Richard

I think Rich is referring to low pass filters, LFOs and arpeggiattors.

The Jen won't do arps but it will do some absolutely AMAZING bass sounds with the Pulse Width Modulation. If only I hadn't just bought another synth, I'd defo have that Jen. Its an amazing synth!!!

Dan

Guest Jecklin

Hello chaps

Yes these are the things with all the knobs or in the case of the kawai, sliders.

Neither has an arppegiator, but the Kawai has CV input so with a midi converter you can fire it off a sequencer.

Hold Tight as I'll put some posts on you tube of me playing some sounds. The Kawai especially can create some truly amazing wooshes etc.

Every time I play them I want to keep them, but I have no musical outlet for them anymore: Due to my hearing damage I wil never eturn to amplified music.

[quote name='merchant' post='53193' date='Aug 31 2007, 10:30 AM']Hello chaps

Yes these are the things with all the knobs or in the case of the kawai, sliders.

Neither has an arppegiator, but the Kawai has CV input so with a midi converter you can fire it off a sequencer.

Hold Tight as I'll put some posts on you tube of me playing some sounds. The Kawai especially can create some truly amazing wooshes etc.

Every time I play them I want to keep them, but I have no musical outlet for them anymore: Due to my hearing damage I wil never eturn to amplified music.[/quote]

I like your improv music (jazz?) - I have no knowledge of that kind of Jazz at all, but it reminds me of 'Spirit Of Eden' & 'Laughing Stock' by Talk Talk - which are some of my favourite LPs...
Cool.

Guest Jecklin

Thanks 99ster.

I came to this sort of music more form a post-rock/post-classical background. so although it has a something in common with fully improvised free jazz I wouldn't really class it as such. It is the textural and noise scenes that really turned me onto this. I used to work entirely electronically, where as now I build up the sound scapes and environments with acoustic sounds in real time.

Most of what we do is composed in some form by me, ranging from diagrams to hybrid graphic scores to full notation.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok sorry I've been away from a computer for a long time.

Thanks for all the PM's and emails.

Here are some photographs of the JEN, looks like i was being too ambitious with the idea of videoing it aswell (namely because I haven't found anyone with a video camera to lend), but I will get some sound samples up on my website ,or something like that, asap.

(the blue sticher on the front is th code number from the place I bought It. I never bothered taking it off. There is also a "PAT inspection passed" sticker on the back too)

Ok been tied up with a lot of rehearsals and odd shift pattern at work. awkward all round

PH76 got in touch first so has first refusal on a demo

next is OMVIBES

I'll bell you both when I know how the next week is looking. Thanks for your patience.

I've got the kawai at a friends studio and will post some sound snippets.

Cheers

Thomas

[quote name='merchant' post='61044' date='Sep 16 2007, 09:03 AM']Ok been tied up with a lot of rehearsals and odd shift pattern at work. awkward all round

PH76 got in touch first so has first refusal on a demo

next is OMVIBES

I'll bell you both when I know how the next week is looking. Thanks for your patience.
I've got the kawai at a friends studio and will post some sound snippets.

Cheers

Thomas[/quote]

Hi Thomas,

Send me a text or call me when you will be available.
Cheers,

Ph.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok The jen has been sold.

I have the kawai back in my hands and voila some photos:

There are three replacement slider knobs on the synth. The far right (HPF control) and far left (two envelope filter controls).

Give me a shout for a demo session.

Gonna host a sound clip somewhere. Hold tight.

Ok this should be live on Youtube soon.

Just a very rough and very quick play around. It only is the tip of the iceberg of this synth.

The sound is coming out of my stereo speakers and being picked up by a still camera microphone.

Through a bass amp this synth WILL scare your neighbours

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gN1p6yowknk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gN1p6yowknk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I have the original instruction manual too, which includes parameter diagrams to recreate certain sounds.

Of course a strip of masking tape down the side of each slider allows you to mark your own and recall them for live or what ever.

Edited by Jecklin

Hhmm ok I take it you can't embed youtube videos

Here is the url

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN1p6yowknk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN1p6yowknk[/url]

enjoy

That is correct.
I had the VCA (the white slider second from right) controlled by the first filter ( via the switch below the VCA). I had the filter set with a very very long decay time. You can switch it to sustain only as long as a key is depressed.

The routing on this synth is way beyond most basic mono synths and sadly way beyond what can be shown on a two minute you tube video.

think of that video as reference rather than as an exhaustive demo.

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jecklin

Well what do you know, there is another Kawai F100 video on youtube:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WioSDkoeDhk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WioSDkoeDhk[/url]

This fella is doing some nice extreme examples of what you can do with the envelopes on the synth.

[quote name='merchant' post='65528' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:29 PM']Hhmm ok I take it you can't embed youtube videos

Here is the url

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN1p6yowknk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN1p6yowknk[/url]

enjoy[/quote]

Try (square open bracket)youtube(square close bracket)gN1p6yowknk(square open bracket)/youtube(square close bracket)

Hamster

Edited by Hamster

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jecklin

Crikey.
Seems everyting I've been advertising recently has been at bargin basement prices.

After speaking to a synth dealer recently I'm raising the price of the Kawai F100 to £500.

Close offers considered.

Thanks
Thomas