Why become a member? ×

Ashdown EB12-180 Evo II

Potaton

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody has got any opinions/guidance on this combo.

I've read some mixed reviews so far,but they were mainly for the EB12-180,not the EVO II version.

I mainly want it for rehearsals & small gigs...Can this amp handle it???

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Potaton

I've had the 12" 180 & it was fine for most jobs, but get in there with a loud guitarist armed with a twin 150 combo & you're struggling. The 15" is a better bet, but you're better off with the MAG 15" combo with the 300 watt amp, or the 210 version of the same. They're much stronger all in all. For a really nice budget rig, try the MAG combo (either version) with an added 210 deep cabinet. Great sound.

Thanks for your prompt reply!!

I should have mentioned that my budget is capped at £240......I did have a look at the MAG's but at £350ish,it's way too expensive for me...even the EB15 is too expensive when you have an accountant for a dear Wife!!

I did also consider the Laney RB4?!!

Did you have the EB12 EVO II?? Are there many negatives regarding this amp??

[quote name='Potaton' post='479658' date='May 5 2009, 08:47 AM']Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody has got any opinions/guidance on this combo.

I've read some mixed reviews so far,but they were mainly for the EB12-180,not the EVO II version.

I mainly want it for rehearsals & small gigs...Can this amp handle it???

Thanks in advance!![/quote]

The only difference between the EVO II and the previous version is that the EVO II has a compressor built in.

I own the version without the compressor and it's perfect for rehearsals and small gigs.

Linus27 might be willing to sell you his MAG300 head with MAG115 cab for £240 - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48026"]for sale thread here[/url].

S.P.

[quote]I did also consider the Laney RB4?!![/quote]

I'm probably the only dickhead on earth who actually LIKED the tone of his Laney combo :rolleyes:
I REALLY liked my R2 (today's RB5, I think), although the tweeter was no good and the combo wasn't very loud (but then again I'm a volume addict) :)
Why don't you try it? Maybe the extra 40W may actually be useful.

Anyway, I'd consider 2nd hand gear for your price range as well, you might end up with something much better, and if you have the chance to try it out before you buy, you can check for issues with it.

Edited by Boneless

I'm using an EB-180 -15 as a first amp at present. Its fine for rehearsals ( bit on the heavy side for the cellar steps!) but is much appreciated by the band for its sound (eq) variety - we're playing Rock /Blues.
I've used it for 2 gigs 1 in a medium pub/club venue ( its first outing) with no pa and it blew the 2 guitarists away though I found the tone got muddy as the volume incresed and I noticed I was hitting alot of red lights on the vu!
We've just done a charity gig Di through a meaty pa and the sound was awesome. I'm using a mid range active Yamaha and the sound stayed nice and 'toppy' which we like. Cost me £100 off ebay 4 months ago and ain't blown up yet !